The AR Problem

It's me again. George Garcia, don't worry I'll share Gleb's writings, I just have to tell you some stuff before we start.

So I told you we are almost at the end. The augmented reality is the last step. This is where everything goes to shit.

Let me tell you a little bit about AR. In 2020 virtual reality was everywhere. Then Augmented reality really kicked in. You didn't have to wear any glasses. Everything was just in front of you, like holograms.

At first, the image qualilty sucked, everything was computer animation, it looked like cartoon. But think about it, when television was first invented, there was no color and the image quality was terrible, but as the technology improved, the quality became so much better that there was no difference with an actual human eye.

Now think about the same thing with cameras, first camera image quality and then the latest ones. I am trying to say, when AR first arrived, we knew one day, it was gonna be so realistic that there was gonna be no difference with our eyes.

That was ok with cameras, but with holograms, it is kind of a problem. I believe It was 2026 when it became publically accesible and I bought one. At first you could only take pictures, you couldn't record videos. But the pictures you take oh my god..

Of course you had to wear the AR contact lenses to see it but when you do, the person or the place you took picture of, was right in front of you. You couldn't tell the difference.. literally.

Don't worry I almost made my point then I'll shut up. Couple of years later we were able to record videos with it. Now that's the problem. You record a video of your kids running around in your home, You are playing with them, beautiful memories... and when you look at this later, you literally see them in front of you. They are not there but, you see them running in the house.

Now.. an unfortunate accident occurs, you lost your kid. Everytime you look at their videos with AR, you can see them in the house, running around. I know it is gonna sound a little insensitive but sometimes forgetting something, is the best thing you can do.

How is that father going to continue his life when he sees his dead kids running around in the house, every single day. So the pain never stops.

Or maybe a dead husband... you recorded a video with him, a beautiful dinner you had when your spouse was alive, and after he or she dies, you keep eating with them, with a dead hologram. You gotta admit, that's not healthy, I am sorry but sometimes you have to move on.

So GSF wanted do something about this. But this wasn't as easy as bombing a building and destroying every intel we had about a certain technology.

VR and AR was far more complicated than Artificial Wombs. For one thing artificial Womb center was one building... and it was new and they were very secretive, so destroying it would solve the problem... but with AR... you just can't do that. There isn't one specific location to control AR, just like you can't forbid cell phones, there are thousand of owners and independent manufacturers etc.

So what did the GSF do?

If you can't kill it. You control it.... No no no wait, that wasn't it. If you can't kill it, own it? Damn it I can't remember, but it was something like that. Never mind, I ruined it.

So maybe they couldn't destroy Augmented Reality but they surely can do this.

-Virtual REALITY speech in some conference-