21: SACRIFICE.

I came home to an empty house and a cold bed.

On my way from the airport, I stopped by Anne's house to pick up Sebastian. She has been taking care of my baby in my absences and by now, he's best friends with both of her cats. Seb is so good he's even sweet to dog's mortal enemies. And Anne, she is a saint for volunteering to have him whenever I'm gone.

The minute Seb and I close the doors of Aster Hall behind us and I look around the room, I question every single decision I've made.

What am I doing here alone?

Why did I leave my man in Copenhagen and came home?

Isn't he the reason why I moved all the way here from the States?

What's the point of being apart?

But then I remember... The point of it all is to do something with my life besides being with Harry.

Touring will always be a part of his job and I can't be indefinitely traveling the world with him not doing anything. I need to work. For my own sanity.

As always, I text Harry to let him know I'm home.

EMI: Home. Miss you already. ♥

Before I make it to the bedroom carrying the suitcase up the stairs, my phone vibrates in my pocket.

HARRY: Just arrived in Amsterdam. Wish you were here.

EMI: Please, stay away from honey blondes in leather shorts and fishnet tops.

I sit at the foot of the bed and kick off my shoes.

HARRY: Very specific. How about redheads in mini-skirts and tank tops?

While I get everything ready for a shower, I don't respond.

HARRY: Brunettes in little black dresses?

As I'm getting the water running and warming up, the phone beeps again.

HARRY: Blondes but in jeans and a t-shirt?

I stare at the phone with a wide smile on my face before I step into the shower.

EMI: Can't worry about all of them at the same time, hard as I try!

HARRY: I'll stay away from all of them then, just to be sure.

EMI: Sounds like the smart thing to do.

HARRY: Gotta go. I love you.

EMI: I love you more.

Before I can set the phone down on top of the sink, I receive one last text.

HARRY: I love you the mostest.

I get in the shower and he's not there getting in right behind me.

The very next day, I go back to work at EUTS.

I haven't had the chance to do much with the foundation yet. Most of the work consists in sending checks to different organizations, or placing orders for supplies we have to ship to specific locations, or meeting with people representing those organizations seeking our help. None of that is as exciting as being part of the team that goes out and works directly with the people in need. That's what I want to do.

I don't want to be trapped in an office all day. I want to go to the hospitals, go to the shelters, to the community kitchens, attend the charity events, deliver the supplies, help build the houses, see the faces of the people when they celebrate getting access to clean water for the first time, of the young people who get to go to college because of Harry, of the people whose lives he saves or forever changes.