89: STILL FALLING FOR YOU / HOLES IN THE FLOOR OF HEAVEN.

Life is truly a miracle.

To think that two people can come together and form new life is really a mind-blowing concept.

As insignificant as each one of us humans may seem at a greater scale, we have the power to create life. How incredibly awesome is that?

Augie being someone's father was nothing but an idea just a few minutes ago. But in a matter of a few more hours, it will be a reality. His son or daughter will be in his arms and his whole life will change.

I am not a mother myself, but I'm absolutely certain that Laura and Augie will never again conceive the notion of a life when they're not the parents of a tiny beautiful human they both made together. After today, their lives will have a purpose bigger than themselves, and if that's not the most precious gift in this journey of inhaling and exhaling until you stop, then I don't know what is.

We were all scattered around the living room. I was deep in conversation with Gemma about the wedding and Michal was pretending to be interested in learning everything Harry and I have already decided to do for the ceremony and reception. Everyone seems to be on board with the idea of the wedding taking place here at Aster Hall, and that made me extremely happy. I was afraid they'd think I'm being boring when I can choose any place in the whole wide world and Harry would make it happen.

Gemma and Augie accepted Harry's request to have them as his Best Man and Maid of Honor... of the groom. Gemma knew she would've been my bridesmaid anyway, but being there by her brother's side means twice as much for her. Well, for the both of them. And Augie, he already knew, too, that he would be Harry's Best Man, so there was no surprise there. Only another chance for them to be their usual silly selves.

"So, August, do you accept the task of making sure I don't run away on the day of my wedding?" Harry said at the dinner table, winking his evil little eye at me while the rest of the eyes were all on him.

I gasped in horror and he locked his arm around my shoulder to bring me closer and kissed my nose, waiting for Augie's response.

"Of course, Howard! I will handcuff myself to you if I have to!"

I love them.

Harry just an itty bitty more than Augie. But just a little.

Then, after dinner, while smaller groups of people had formed for different topics of conversation, we heard her and chaos engulfed.

Laura had been complaining about not feeling too well, but she assured us it's been normal for her on the last weeks of her pregnancy. So, she excused herself and went to the bathroom. She was walking down the hallway, back to the rocking chair Harry had carried down the stairs from our bedroom just for her, when she froze midway, with her eyes and mouth wide open and a terrified look on her face.

"Uh, oh!" She said loudly enough to mute every voice in the room.

Her water broke.

Thankfully, that room included an experienced mother and Anne took control of the situation. She asked Augie if they had a bag ready at home with Laura's things for one of us to go pick up, and he said they had one in the car that they've been taking everywhere just in case. She calmed Laura by showing her how to control her breathing and keep her cool despite the communal panic around her. And then she put Laura and Augie in the back seat of their car, with me in the passenger seat and Harry in the driver's, arguing that Augie was in no condition to be at the wheel.

We got to the hospital first, and Laura was on her way to a room when Anne, Robin, Gemma, Michal and Alice arrived. A few minutes later, Augie's parents walked in after Anne was the only one collected enough to think of calling them, but it took Laura's family a bit longer since they all live over an hour and a half away from the hospital.