60: MEDLEY II.

- THIRD PERSON P.O.V.-

Time is relative.

Moments when people are happy, having fun, enjoying life, those go by too quickly. They're gone before they can prepare themselves for the mundane days that follow.

Then there are those moments they wish they could speed through, get them over with so they can try to forget them, or pretend they never happened, or simply to make them hurt less.

This moment, the one in which Emilia is packing her things to leave Aster Hall and Harry, feels ages long, and she wishes she could teleport to Baltimore and save both of them the torturous process of saying goodbye slowly.

Emilia's pick:

"Nothing is missing
Yet something is wrong
I cannot describe it, this feeling I have
Keep on smiling, my mom used to say
But I cannot keep on living this way

(...)

And I'm keeping my head up
Refuse to go down
While you're there waiting
For me on the ground
Saying how can we fix this?
Hell, I don't know!
But I do, somehow I do...
You're all that I know
And it's scaring me so

(...)

This feeling that scares me so
Is the fear of having to let you go..."

Harry is still pressing her hand against his chest and Emi can't remember a time when she cried harder, besides the day her mom died.

She can't help it, before she realizes what she's doing her hands are around the back of Harry's neck and her cheek is pressed to his shoulder and she's holding on to him for dear life. It's only natural that she'd resort to his arms for comfort. He squeezes her body so tightly, it feels to her as if he's trying to imprison her to prevent her from leaving.

It almost works.

His tears are falling on the side of her neck and every drop punches a new hole into her already dying heart. They hug for a minute or two until the crying subsides enough for them to speak again.

"I know you said we need some time apart. But can we stay in contact? Be friends during that time?"

"Harry, I could be friends with my ex-boyfriend who cheated on me. But I could never be friends with you!"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means I can't because I will always want to be more than just your friend! I can't imagine being in the same room as you and not be able to get close to you, or have you in front of me and not be able to kiss you, to touch you, it would be the ultimate torture!"

"Shit! Guess it makes sense when you put it like that... But I don't want us to become strangers, Em. I need to see you, I need to talk to you, otherwise I'll go crazy!"

"We can talk. You can call me whenever you feel like it, as long as it's not every day. And whenever I want to hear from you, I'll call you too. Deal?"

Harry nods. Emi had never seen his eyes so red. She had never seen him look so beaten, so broken.

He lets go of her hand he'd been holding this whole time and she resumes her packing. She doesn't care what she leaves behind; her mind is everywhere and nowhere right now to discern what she should be taking and what can stay here for when she comes back. If she comes back.