54: KING OF THE WORLD.

Baltimore. This place will always be home.
I love its sidewalks, I love the people, I love the cold concrete of its old buildings and the contrast with the modern constructions, I love the night lights and the colorful street art, I love the loud roars from the Ravens Stadium and Camden Yards and I love the city when it's covered in purple or orange, I love the breeze from the bay and the sound of the boats and the music from the pier. Oh, the music! I miss it so much!

Lately, however, I've struggled with staying here when I visit. It's not because of the city, of course. It's a feeling, a connection my brain makes with the life I had when I lived here and the life I have now. I came to Baltimore to be alone. I wanted independence and distance from my father and the bad memories. I moved here to escape, and this place offered the refuge I needed. Baltimore was my safe haven.

But now that I'm alone all the time, I come to Maryland looking to be surrounded by people I love. The last thing I want is to come here to be by myself. So the past few times I've been back I haven't stayed in my apartment. I used to love it because I used to love living alone in it. Now it's an empty concrete box that doesn't feel like home anymore. I crave company these days, that's why I stay at my family's home with my brother and dad.

Damn! I hadn't realized how much I've missed Stefan until I hugged him today. He's my little brother, but he's always been my protector and I never knew safer arms than his until I met Harry. But it's different, I'll always need my brother no matter how good Harry is to me. And since things haven't been optimal between us, Stefan's sheltering arms might be the remedy I've been so desperately searching for.

"Are you okay, sis?" The moment I hold on to him too long, he senses something is off. "Is everything okay with you and Harry?"

I tell him. He can't help me if he doesn't know what's wrong.

"But don't tell dad. I don't want this to affect the way he sees Harry..."

We are both responsible for our current situation, but I don't want my father to have the satisfaction of being right. He warned me before that a life with Harry would not be easy.

"Not a word." Stef promises.

Dad was at the hospital when I arrived, so my brother has been the only person I've seen since I landed. Now I'm on my way to Jasmine's apartment to (unintentionally) surprise her. Last time we talked I told her I was arriving Saturday night, but there was a cancellation and I was able to get on an earlier flight. Rushing to get ready and make it to the airport in time, I didn't think of telling anyone but Stefan.

"Emi! Oh, h-hi! Um... what are you doing here so early?"

Jasmine opens the door and freezes when she finds me on the other side.

"Hiii! Caught an earlier flight. Are you giving me a hug and letting me in eventually, or...?"

She's had me standing outside like I'm a door-to-door salesperson she's hoping to get rid of.

"Yeah... of course, come in."

What the hell is wrong with her? Some welcome that was!

"My hug?" I ask, raising my eyebrows and gesturing with my hands, clueless as to why she looks and sounds like she does not want me here right now.

"Right! Sorry... Come here!" She hugs me but it's not a Jasmine hug. I'm used to her bone-crushing, air-suppressing bear hugs. "Happy Birthday, Sissy."

"What are you still doing in a robe and slippers at one in the afternoon?" Most importantly, is she naked under that robe? I don't give her a chance to respond. "Oh. My. God!"