49: WHAT IF THIS IS ALL THE LOVE YOU EVER GET?

Leaving Los Angeles after only two days is hard to do. Harry has at least another five or six weeks there while I don't have any more time I can free to go see him again.

The distance has become less and less tolerable over time. It should be the other way around, right? The more we're apart, the easier it gets to deal with the separation. That's how I thought it was going to be. But I was terribly wrong.

Or maybe it's not working out the way it should because we're doing it all wrong. What would be the right way, though?

Who knows?! (Not us, evidently). I sure as hell have no clue!

Whenever we run into an obstacle, we always have a way to get past it. But I will venture on a wild guess here and say that maybe we're getting past the obstacles but we're not really overcoming them, we're just walking around them. Avoiding what's in front of us for our own comfort.

We find a way around the obstacles and we keep walking. For how long? I don't know anymore. I doubt there's a future in eluding obstacles.

"Do I make any sense?" I ask Will after I throw all those thoughts at him without a single pause for him to comment.

"You make all the sense in the world."

He puts a hand on my arm to stop it from moving. I've been stirring the sauce in the pan nonstop since I started talking.

Without giving me a choice, he turns off the stove, pulls out a stool at the kitchen island and signals for me to take a seat across from him.

"Has Harry ever told you the story about me and Norah?"

"No. He's only mentioned you're divorced, but that's about it."

William proceeds to tell me how he met who would later become his wife when they were in school, both sixteen years old. As we would call them in America, they were 'high school sweethearts'.

Right after they graduated, Norah became pregnant with their first child: a daughter who's only a year younger than me.

The arrival of a baby meant neither of them could further their education. At a young age, Will had to find the means to provide for his girlfriend and daughter, while Norah raised their little girl and helped out at her family's café for some extra income.

With no experience or training on any field at all, finding a good job proved harder than anticipated. Until an uncle found Will work as a security guard at the pub where he worked as a bartender.

It was a small pub where nothing more than drunken fist fights ever happened, so he wasn't required to have any specific skills other than being big and strong, which he was. The money he made there wasn't much, but he worked double shifts from opening till close six days a week.

When they had acquired a certain financial stability, they got married.

But Norah got pregnant again and the expenses grew, forcing Will to have to come up with a new plan to make sure he could cover his family's basic needs. That's when he decided to make a career out of what he already did.

Before their son was born, William managed to put some money aside to pay for his training and certification, and by the time his baby boy was nine months old, he had a new job as a security guard at the local bank.

Then one day, still looking to better his resume, he attended a course in the city and met guys who did personal security for a living working for important people of the upper class and made three times the kind of money he was making.

Once back home, he presented Norah with this idea of working as personal security (it being guarding a home or a person) and they both agreed it was a great opportunity that would allow them to provide for the kids and also save for their education.