75: THE SCIENTIST / DON'T.

Robin announces it's time to sing Anne happy birthday and cut the cake.

Anne throws an apologetic look at Harry, it's obvious she didn't want to interrupt our talk judging by the thrilled expression on her face when she saw us together. She scolds Robin with a killer gaze, as if she wants to eat his head off. It seems like tonight she keeps apologizing for things that are not her fault.

Harry and I get up and walk towards the table by the wall at the far back where everything is being set-up for the cake-cutting ritual. Within seconds of everyone gathering around the table, a young waitress in restaurant uniform appears holding a small two-tiered cake in her hands.

The girl must be a little younger than us, and her big brown eyes search around the terrace for something she came specifically hoping to find: Harry. I'm pretty sure she's a fan and as soon as she found out he was here she's been waiting all night on an opportunity to come upstairs and see him. Once her eyes spot him on the right corner of the table, her face turns crimson red and she flashes the sweetest of smiles at him. He responds with a grin and a brief wave of his hand and I feel sorry for her.

This man can make a statue's legs shake.

I fear she'll stumble and drop the cake before she can look away from him for long enough to make it to the table safely. But then her eyes turn to me, standing next to Harry, and her face changes from extreme happiness to sudden embarrassment. Oh, crap! She knows me, too.

She directs an awkward smile my way and I can tell she's mortified for her display of admiration for Harry in the presence of his 'girlfriend'. I wish I could tell her she's done nothing wrong. I've witnessed women flirt with him shamelessly right in front of me.

A courteous smile and involuntary gawking actually lands her on my list of very nice people. So, I respond with a friendly and sincere smile that she welcomes warmly as she places the cake on the table, wishes Anne happy birthday, and turns away without looking back at us.

All the guests are lined up in rows on one side of the table, while the lady of the hour is standing by herself on the other side between the table and the wall, waiting to be celebrated by her family and friends.

Harry uses everyone's proximity as an excuse to place one hand over my shoulder first, and later move it down to my waist and bring me closer to him. I try to break free from his hold, but his grip on me is too strong. Or maybe, just maybe, I don't want him to let go.

I'll give him hell for this later, but right now we're surrounded by people who might have not yet figured out we're no longer together and I don't want to cause a scene. This is, after all, a celebration.

Anne and Gemma have their eyes on us and I'm blushing like a child. They look so pleased with the image Harry is presenting them with that I feel tempted to stick my tongue out at them and push Harry ten feet away from me.

The happy birthday song begins and everybody is clapping along except for Harry who refuses to move his right hand from my waist. I need to show him somehow that what he's doing is not okay, so every time I clap and swing my arms I make sure to bury my left elbow between his ribs. He flinches the first two times but then acts naturally as if it doesn't bother him at all.

During that entire time, neither of us dares to look at the other. I let it slide for Anne's sake and because I'm sure he's doing it to put up a show for the people around us. But I can't deny that it feels nice. For a short moment I can pretend that everything is the way it used to be and we never grew apart.

When the song is over and the candles have been blown, I have to discreetly push Harry off me. He's carried out this charade for a minute longer than I was willing to allow. By the time I reach the table we were sitting at before, I'm already so mad at him I want to scold him in front of everyone so they can finally learn the reality of our relationship after that bullshit number he just played for all of them to see.