56: WHEN THE HEARTACHE ENDS.

Technology is a blessing. If I had to endure this nine-hour flight by myself and be disconnected from all means of communication, I would've gone insane by now. Thank heavens for Wi-Fi on planes! I need to be in touch with my family or I won't know if I'm too late.

Please, Vince, don't go. Please, please, please.

According to Stefan's latest report, doctors were running some tests to see if the possibility of a heart transplant was still an option, which at this point would be his only option.

Stay with us, Vince! Stay for Jasmine, for Isabel. Stay for the grandchildren Jazz may one day give you. Stay for us, your adoptive kids, and the grandchildren Stef and I can give you someday, too.

I wanted to text Jasmine something meaningful, so that she could feel my presence by her side while I make my way there, but I couldn't find the right words. What can I tell her that would make any difference for her now? I was her eight years ago, I know from experience I can't make her feel better with words. All I can do is be there.

EMI: I'll arrive in a few hours, but my heart has been there with you since Stef called me. Kiss Pa for me while I get there, and hang tight. I LOVE YOU, SISSY.

That's all I could manage. The phone is still shaking in my hand even though I've sent the text minutes ago. In part because I'm worried my message to Jazz was too empty or dry, and part because my next text will have to be to Harry. He's in the same situation as me, trapped inside a metal bird thousands of feet up in the air, unaware of what's going on, and he should learn about this from me.

EMI: Vincent had a heart attack, he's in the hospital in critical condition. Your mom put me on a private plane, I'll get to Baltimore way before you get to Vegas, so call me when you land, please? I could really use the sound of your voice right now. xx

...That is the understatement of the century. I desperately need him here by my side.

Stefan texts me every now and then to keep me on the loop and sane while I'm here defenseless, and Jasmine doesn't respond but she lets my brother know that she got my message and that she's hoping I'm there soon.

My biggest fear is that they're lying to me. Or at least withholding updated information from me. What if Vince is gone and they don't want me to find out until I'm there? I wish there was something I could do to distract myself from my own thoughts.

The phone vibrates on the table and I rush to pick it up. Every time it does, my whole body tenses. Because I'm waiting for the bad news to come any minute. But I breathe a sigh of relief when I see is Harry replying to my message.

HARRY: What??? I can't believe it! I'm so sorry, love. Keep me updated. I'll call you as soon as I touch down. I love you.

I don't know how to feel after I read his response. Was I hoping he'd sound more concerned? More compassionate? More affectionate? No, that's not it. I was expecting him to say he'd catch a flight to Baltimore as soon as he got off in Vegas. That's what his text was missing.

Based on his words, he wants me to keep him up-to-date with Vince's progress which doesn't sound even close to having any intentions of coming to be with me. But maybe I'm just reading too much into the text and he'll say that he's coming when he calls. Yeah, that's probably what it is.

Harry wouldn't let me deal with this alone, he knows what Vince means to me.

During my mom's battle with cancer, Vince was there for me like my father wasn't. When the time came and I had to make the decision to let mom go and honor her wishes, he was the one who held my hand through it and told me that I was making the right call.