10

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd scooped at the water in the river, bringing her cupped hands to her mouth to drink. She looked around at the river before her, mesmerised by it all; glad to be free once more. She looked up when Lincoln came to stand behind her, meeting his blood free face.

'Who did your tattoos?' She asked as she turned her gaze back to the water.

'Man in my clan,' He replied.

'Can I get one even if I'm not one of you?'

The man stood quiet, his hands pulling up the back of her hair to look at the base of her skull.

'I know I'm not one of you and I'll never be,' She sighed; 'But I don't want to be one of them... Not anymore. Not after what they've done.'

'I might be able to,' He informed her.

'Really?'

'One day, when you know you're sure.'

'I am.'

Again, he didn't reply, causing her to sigh before she stood. She sent him a tight smile as she turned to walk up the bank, following after the grounder.

/\/\/

Byrd crept through the low bushes, her eyes set on the mutated rabbit before her. She moved slowly and quietly, sneaking up on the animal that was about to become her meal for the night. The girl sat still more a moment as the rabbit raised its head, sniffing the air, before she launched herself forward; her arms stretched in front of her. The little animal scrambled around in her arms trying to get free, its claws piercing her skin, until it fell still when she slit its throat.

With a grin, she picked the rabbit up by its back feet and carried back over to where the other three lay. She grabbed two in each hand and started for Lincoln's cave, happy with her killings. Byrd kicked opened the door, pushing it across the rocks to leave an opening big enough for her. She jumped down into the cave, walking up the narrow alleys to get to the main part of the cave. But as she got the end of the alley, she found Lincoln and Octavia on top of one another, kissing.

She rolled her eyes, dropping the rabbits by the door quietly, before she turned and walked back up the alley. She was not watching that. The girl pushed herself up onto the ledge, pulling the door back over the entrance and moved to sit on a higher rock. Byrd sat there, looking up at the clear night sky; the stars twinkling on the inky black background. She sighed, remembering how she and Murphy used to do this when they were on the Ark; except they weren't looking at the stars. They were looking at Earth, dreaming of the day they'd go back.

Her gaze snapped away from the sky when she heard movement in the bushes, smirking when she saw Finn step into sight. His eyes moved over the ground as he looked for something, possibly the entrance to Lincoln's cave. She shook her head, looking back up to the sky.