37

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd swung around the spike she'd taken from Indra's chains, the links still connected to it after she broke off the cuffs and extensions. She walked beside John, leading Indra and Pike through the streets; avoiding the main areas. The boy headed in first, crouching down behind a wall by the back door when they heard voices. She walked in, holding the chains still; stepping out from behind the wall as Pike came up beside her. The gun in his hand sending bullets flying into the guards that were there, before Murphy suddenly stepped out.

'No, no, no, not her, not her,' He motioned to the grounder girl, Emori.

'Why not?' She asked as she strode forward.

'They know we're here. Bar the door.'

The girl glared at Emori, Murphy approaching her quickly; cupping her face in his hands.

'You,' He whispered firmly.

'You,' She sighed.

'I'll get their guns. We're gonna need them,' Pike strode past them.

'He's powering the pod,' Murphy turned away.

'What about the secret passage? She'll know about that now. I'll lock it up.'

'No, don't. She didn't see us come in. Besides, we'll need that later to escape... Thank you, Titus.'

He crossed the room, passing Byrd as she continued to glare at Emori. She gripped the spike in her hand a little harder, watching her closely as Murphy walked up beside her with a large pole in hand.

'John,' Emori stated softly.

She raised the spike to press it under her chin, 'Shut it.'

'Hey,' Murphy warned.

'Touch me, she dies.'

'That's a nuclear fuel cell, John,' Emori exclaimed; 'You'll irradiate the entire city.'

'Sounds like fun. Do it.'

'How do we destroy it?' Indra ignored her.

'Carefully,' Pike answered.

Murphy pushed Byrd's hand down and away from Emori's neck, looking away from the glare she shot him. She snatched her arm back, pressing the spike under his chin with clenched teeth before she pulled it away and walked by him.

/\/\/

'Crap. It's about to go,' Murphy jumped as the thud on the doors sounded again as it had for the last ten minutes; 'Just tell me where to hit this thing.'

'Just give it here and I'll hit it,' Byrd droned from where she sat.

Pike held up his hand toward them both, 'Indra, the gun, please.'