39

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd grimaced as Abby poked and prodded her wound, which she was reluctant to do in the first place. Murphy stood close by talking to Emori, but his gaze constantly flicked over to her. She tried to hold in a hiss as Abby pulled the makeshift bandage tight across her shoulder, glowering up at the woman. 

'I want you to stay up here with the others,' Abby informed her. 

'That's a no,' She retorted; 'I'm climbing down this damn tower.'

'You'll fall.'

'So be it.'

'Byrd. You have other people to think about now.'

'Like?'

'Murphy? I saw you two, he'd die if anything happened to you.'

'Well, he knows I'm capable to make my own decisions. Look. Hey, Murph.'

He looked to her, Emori peaking at her over her shoulder. 

'I'm gonna climb down the tower, ok?' She smirked. 

'Alright,' He shrugged.

'See?'

'Wait, no.'

'Damn it, Murph.'

He walked over to her, looking down at her. 

'You're not climbing down this damn building,' He stated firmly. 

'But, it looks like so much fun,' She whined before grinning; 'I'll see you at the bottom.'

She turned and ducked around his hand, moving to climb over the railing. She waved at them all, before she began to climb down. The girl paused not far from the top, hanging by her good arm to look out across Polis and the land surrounding it. She took it all in, the vastness of the green, the mountains, the trees. It was incredible. It was home. 

/\/\/

'Mum,' Byrd called as she searched the streets; 'Harriet Delani!'

'Byrd,' Abby called. 

She ran toward the woman to find her mother sitting, propped up against a fence, as Abby checked her over. 

'Shit,' She sighed; 'She's not gonna come out of this for days. Weeks.'

'We'll look after her, we need to get her back to Arcadia,' Abby informed her. 

'What are we waiting for?'

'I need to check on everyone else.'

The girl nodded, 'Go. She's not your responsibility.'

'Yes, she is. She's my patient.'

'She's my mother.'

Abby stared at her as she wiped the sweat stained hair from her mother's face, shifting her forward a little so she could stand behind her. Byrd ignored the woman as she began to braid her mother's curly hair, attempting to calm her mind as it raced at the sight of her motionless mother. She'd gotten the first braid of two done when shoes came into her low line of sight, her gaze rising to find Murphy standing before her.