36

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd walked through the streets of Polis on horseback, screams echoing in her ears. The streets were dead, a sense of dread loomed over the entire city. It was nothing like it had been the previous day. Her eyes roamed over the bodies, dead and alive, strung up on crosses along the fence; dust sitting heavy in the air. Blood pooled in the centre of the street, her horse becoming ancy beneath her at the smell.

'Kane,' She called when she spotted the man walking amongst the grounders.

He turned to look at her as she rode up beside him, her gaze never meeting his as she continued to look around; Pike watching her closely.

'What happened here?' He asked.

'I just got back,' She shook her head.

She stopped behind the lead grounder when he did, staying on horse back as she looked over all the people before her; kneeling with their heads low and eyes closed. Jackson arose from the crowd and approached them with a smile, no body else moving.

'Chancellors. Byrd,' He greeted.

'Jackson?' Kane whispered.

'What the hell are you doing here?' Pike asked. 

'Those aren't necessary,' Jackson ignored their questions as he motioned to the cuffs on Pike's wrists.

'This man belongs to the Commander,' The grounder stated firmly.

And as if right on cue, Jaha and the new commander walked through the crowd with a tall guard behind them.

'It's all right, Jackson,' Jaha smiled.

'Lus em au,' The commander demanded.

The grounder quickly turned and unlocked Pike's cuffs, letting them fall free.

'Nau teik yu spika slak en teik Klika-de in,' The girl then instructed.

The grounder did as he was told, lifting up his mask and opening his mouth so she could slid the chip into it.

'Thelonious, what is this?' Kane asked.

'This is the chip,' Pike stepped forward; 'I thought you were crazy. Now I know you are.'

'I always knew it, this just proves it,' Byrd inputted.

'This is unity, like you always wanted,' Jaha smiled.

Pike suddenly surged forward and grabbed the commander, placing his knife over her neck.

'Everyone back away, or the Commander dies,' He shouted as two guards of Arkadia approached him; 'Thank God. Briggs, Grant, get behind me.'

But, one of the men slammed the butt of his gun into the side of Pike's leg, causing him to free the commander as he curled over. The two men grabbed him, holding him strong despite his struggling.