41

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd stood hidden behind the back of the Ark as she carved into the metal with her blade, at peace with doing something familiar for the first time in a long while. If this is the end, did you do everything you wanted?; were the words she'd carved, which were now decorated with flowers and leaves. Murphy had gone to get Emori the previous night and had yet to return, but she wasn't ready to leave her mother. 

She peeked over her shoulder when she heard Jasper begin to laugh, her eyes falling to Jaha as he floated in the middle of the dam behind Arkadia on a plastic container. A smirk slipped on her lips as the man sat up, looking around before his eyes fell upon the Jordan boy. 

'He's awake!' Jasper called.

People filtered out of the ship and from where they were working, laughing as they looked down at the man.

'Hey, Jaha, it looks like you got floated,' Jasper laughed.

There was an uproar of laughter, even the Delani girl laughed softly at the sight. 

'Keeping yourself busy, Mr. Jordan,' Jaha called. 

'Oh, I'm living it up, every last day,' Jasper replied. 

'Do I want to know how you managed to do this without waking me up?'

'Oh, probably not, but the effects are harmless, I promise... Kinda.'

There was more laughter as Jasper made his way back up the small incline, Jaha beginning to pull himself in.

'All right,' Clarke called with a smile; 'We've had our fun. Let's get back to work.'

Everyone moved slowly back to their stations, Byrd turning back to her artwork. 

'I like this,' Jasper stated as he stood behind her. 

'Thanks,' She muttered; 'Think I might use your quote.'

'Which one?'

'It's harmless, I promise... Kinda.'

'Will you put my name on it?'

'Why not?'

He grinned up at her, before walking away; thunder rumbling over head. But, she didn't move as the others did, instead she stayed there; carving at the metal. The alarm sounded for black rain, but she wasn't convinced. Everyone ran into the Ark as she looked up at the sky, the water trickling down her face. She tilted her head back and let it fall into her mouth as she grinned, laughing softly when she heard yelling around the corner. 

'Whoo!' Jasper cheered; 'It's just rain, not radioactive ash... Come on. It's a joke. Don't be like that, guys... Guys!'

She chuckled, shaking her head as she stepped back to look over her work.