40

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd walked into the cave beside Murphy, tucked up his arm as Emori sat on the other side of the fire. She hadn't said anything about the second wave of Praimfaya that was to hit, she wanted to wait until they were alone. But, it didn't worry her, her worry was directed toward the safety of the boy she loved. Her best friend. And her mother.

'You said there'd be food here,' Murphy drawled.

'There should be. These woods have always been good to me. Now there's not even bugs,' Emori replied.

'Well, fortunately, I'm not hungry enough for that to be upsetting yet... I actually kind of miss Polis.'

The Delani girl looked up at him, a soft smile on her lips as she watched the far off look in his eyes. 

'They had this drink there... It was sweet, made out of sheep's milk,' He continued.

'Ontari gave this to you?' Emori asked.

'Yeah. I told you, it wasn't all bad.'

'You told me you were trying to survive.'

'I was.'

'What else wasn't bad, John, sex?'

'You his girlfriend?' Byrd spoke up; 'No. So, shut up.'

'It doesn't worry you that he had sex with someone else?'

'No, because he wasn't mine, then. He is now.'

'I don't want to talk about this,' Murphy groaned.

'He had sex with you, you don't see me cutting your head off, even if I really want to.'

'Magpie.'

'Fine. Then let's not.'

'I didn't have a choice, ok?'

'Thought you didn't want to talk about it.'

'I don't. There are other things I'd much rather be doing, but since it was brought up.'

He pushed himself up to stand, looking down at the fire as he held his hand out toward her. Byrd took it easily and let him pull her up, following after him as he lead her away.

'Where are you going?' Emori called.

'I'm gonna go to Arkadia,' Murphy replied.

'Have fun,' She smirked.

But as they got closer to the end of the cave, he turned and pushed her up against the wall; a smirk on his lips.

'But, not before we finished what you started,' He spoke lowly before kissing her hard.

/\/\/

The couple walked in the dark, almost at Arkadia when Byrd spoke up.