16

/\/\/

/\/\/

Murphy pulled the makeshift bandage from his thigh with an annoyed huff, Raven watching him carefully. His back rested up against the cool wall of the drop ship, his leg throbbing with each movement he made. It had been quiet between the pair for a while, Raven watching him carefully.

'How did you get to be such a dick, Murphy?' The girl asked.

'I'm sorry for shooting you, ok? Is that what you want to hear?' He sneered.

'Let me guess. Mommy and daddy didn't love you?'

The boy sighed, 'No, they loved me.'

'Are you gonna cry, Murphy?'

'Screw you, Raven.'

'No, tell me. I want to know. How does a kid who's loved by his parents turn into a murdering psychopath?'

Murphy sat silent for a few moments, contemplating if he wanted to tell the last person he wanted to know his life story. But with a sigh, he looked down at his hands.

'He gets the flu,' He stated, earning a soft scoff from Raven; 'His father steals medicine... That turns out wouldn't help anyway. Gets floated for it... And his mother, she starts drinking pretty heavily after that... And last words she says to him before he finds her in a pool of her own vomit is that... Is that he killed his father.'

He held back his tears as he looked over at the girl, his eyes red rimmed with tears sitting heavy in them.

'Boo-hoo,' She stated weakly.

He sent her a tight, weak smile in reply, a tear dripping down his cheek once she looked away.

'What... What about Byrd?' Raven asked softly.

'What about her?' He sniffled.

'Why's she so messed up?'

Murphy looked down at his hands, 'Byrd's dad was floated for smuggling supplies when she was about thirteen. She became really angry all the time because he was only trying to get more food for her and her mother... After that, guards used to come in during the middle of the night and rape her mother. Some would drug her with some pretty messed up stuff, it messed with her head... Byrd got pretty sick of it really quickly, but her mother would warn her off; telling her it was fine.'

'How'd she end up down here then?'

'She was the one that killed the eight guards... The ones that used to rape her mother and lit their quarters on fire with them inside, plus her vandalism got her into trouble.'

'She was a vandal?'

'Little Bird.'

Raven's jaw dropped slightly, knowing she had seen countless of the works Byrd had done; never actually knowing who drew them. She nodded slowly, dropping her gaze.