29

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd rode into the camp at a gallop, reining her horse back to a stop once she was inside the gates. She roamed her eyes over the slack faces of the people around her, searching for the one face she was looking for. She'd searched the forest for what was left of the night, ignoring Indra's and Kane's requests to stay. She slid off Apollo's back, her feet hitting the dirt harshly.

'Byrd,' A hysteric voice wailed; 'Byrd.'

The girl searched the crowd, a relieved breath leaving her mouth as her mother raced toward her. She wrapped her arms around her, Apollo dancing to the side at the sudden movement. Harriet sobbed, constantly pulling back to look at her daughter's face before she pulled her into her arms again.

'My girl,' She sighed; 'I'm so glad you're ok.'

'So am I,' Byrd whispered.

'It's just like you said, Byrd. It's beautiful... I got lost, some of the guards found me this morning.'

Byrd smiled softly, eyes raking over her mother's face as she rambled on about the world around her.

'I'll have to braid that hair of yours, baby,' Harriet ran her hand down the side of her daughter's face; 'Haven't seen it so wild since you were two.'

'I'd like that. Tonight?'

'Yes. We can catch up.'

The woman grinned at her, her eyes so full of life compared to Byrd's dying ones.

'Mum, how did you get onto farm station?' She asked.

'I, uh,' Harriet paused; 'I... I don't know. I just remember the snow. And the blood.'

She nodded, reaching forward to squeeze her hand.

'You're safe now, Mum,' She nodded; 'Maybe you can work in medical with Abby, I'm sure she'd give you a job.'

'Yes,' Harriet sighed lightly; 'I might go find her.'

'I'll see you later.'

The woman nodded, turning away to head back further into the camp. Byrd sighed, running her hand through her knotted hair as she turned away; leading Apollo away. She lead him to the stables, stripping his tack from him and put him away. The girl stood outside the stall for a moment more, staring at the animal; lost in her mind.

/\/\/

Byrd stood at the back of the crowd in the hall, everyone gathering for the planned memorial of those who died in the explosion in Mount Weather. She leant against the wall, bored as she listened to each person get up and say something about a deceased. She hadn't seen her mother in a few hours, but she knew she was safe inside the walls.