Home

"Kayla!", we're here!" ,her mom squealed with excitement as they pulled into the driveway.

A small head appeared in the back of the car as Kayla moved her head from in between her little legs.She had been like that throughout the thirty minutes drive from the airport.She pouted her lips and a small yet sad sound escaped her throat.

"Kayla",the woman called out softly,a note of concern in her voice.

The five year old just stared without as much as an acknowledgement that she had heard her name.Quietly,she got out of the car and immediately shut her eyes at the sudden burn of the light from the sun.She lowered her head only to be greeted by the brightest color of green she'd ever seen.The grass was in absolute contrast with her red Nike boots.

"Come here baby",the woman called out to the little girl who was dressed in a white shirt tucked into a red skirt.A feeling of admiration swelled her heart as she looked adoringly at her little daughter.A smile grew on her face as she carried the girl in a arms,tilted her chin and pointed "Look",she whispered softly while pulling a strand of loose hair from Kayla's face and tucked it behind her ears as she placed a kiss on her forehead.

Slowly,Kayla's eyes took in the picture before her.The house was white and huge just like the one they used to live in.There were beautiful white and blue flowers surrounding the house and daring herself to look around,she saw there were other houses around.The Houses were just beautiful.But Kayla didn't like it.She didn't like this place.She didn't like anything!.

Mrs.Davis could sense the unhappiness of her daughter as she walked towards the house.Poor thing!,her heart went out to her daughter.This was hard on the little girl.She wished they hadn't,but they had to.

Kayla seemed to shrink more into herself as the space between them and the front door grew smaller and smaller.She hid her face into her mom's chest and closed her eyes.It hurt her to look.Her mom seemed to sense the tension because her grip on her daughter tightened.

A soft sob escaped Kayla's throat as her mom reached the front door.And she caved deeper into herself when she heard her mom fumble into her purse for her keys.Three clicks and her mom turned the doorknob and walked into the house.Kayla shut her eyes even harder.She heard her mom flip a light switch and her eyes shot open when a familiar voice shouted

"Surprise!".

She winced in pain as the light burned her eyes and she blinked several times to adjust to the change in brightness.

Her mom stood rooted to the place,obviously stunned.They weren't expecting him here.He must have gotten off from work earlier than scheduled.

She watched smiling as in one swift movements,his arms circled them in a tight hug.Kayla leaned into him and wrapped her arms around his neck.She liked this.

She giggled as she watched him kiss her mom.

"Dad!,me too",she blurted,pouting her lips.

Mr.Davis shook him head in amusement as he kissed the little angel all over her face as she giggled.

They sat down in the couch and Kayla jumped onto her dad's lap.

"Hey angel, you've grown so much",he commented."And to think I saw you only two weeks ago",he added.Then eyeing his wife suspiciously,he asked,"what have you been feeding my girl huh?".

She just rolled her eyes at him.

He winked at Kayla who was still giggling and told her to run upstairs and explore the house so mommy and daddy could talk.Reluctantly she got down and walked towards the hallway leading to the stairs.She hid behind one of the walls as she didn't feel like exploring anywhere in this house.She concentrated on her parents who had their backs to her.

When her parents where sure she was out of headshot,her daddy threw her mom a questioning look and then stated,more than asked his wife,
"You didn't tell her,did you?".

His wife cast her gaze downward,confirming what he already knew.

"My God!,Natalie",he cried out in exasperation.

"I tried - - okay. B-but you know how she is",she struggled for an explanation.Indeed she had tried to tell her daughter,but Kayla had never given her the chance.It was as if the little girl knew what was coming and tried her best to avoid the inevitable.

"You brought her all the way here and you couldn't tell her?",her husband demanded.He was clearly frustrated because he ruffled his hair and watched his wife who looked helpless.He couldn't blame her.They were both in this mess together.

"I'm sorry okay honey",she coaxed,taking his large hands in hers.

"I know,i'm sorry too.I overreacted there a little",he apologized

Her eyebrows shot up

"Okay,maybe I overreacted a lot",he corrected."But the thing is,i don't see how hard it is,she's only eight",he added defensively.

"Just eight?,just eight?",she shouted in frustration."Try telling her that we're never going back to Texas again".

A sharp cry sent their heads rolling as they turned in the direction of the sound to see Kayla just five feet from where they sat.

"Oh my",her mother exclaimed,jolting from her seat.

They hadn't even heard her come up behind them.Her mother looked at her daughter's tear filled eyes and her heart broke into a billion pieces.It was as if those baby blues were calling out to her to say everything was a lie and that they'd be going back home.And when she couldn't find her voice to say anything,the tears flowed.

"This",is what they had been trying to avoid in the first place when they'd decided to move a month ago.Kayla loved it back home in Texas and they knew this was gonna be hard for her.Her mom watched helplessly as the very thing she dreaded happening stood right in front of her

"A heartbroken Kayla".

She attempted to move forward,but her knees buckled and she held on to the couch for support.It felt like the world was being dragged from underneath her.

"Baby,i'm so sorry. I wanted to tell you,but-but then,honey,this is now",she tried to explain

But before she could say anything else,a wailing Kayla turned and run to the one place she didn't want to be,

"Upstairs".

But not before the last words of her mom came floating to her

"Home".

"This is now home?"

_________________*___________________
A/N: Hey,i hope you liked it :).Please excuse any typos as I was really excited at writing this book and might have made a few mistakes as a result.
Don't hesitate to leave your comments and show your love by voting 😘😍😍

Will love to hear from you and know what you think :)

Thank you :)

Am-Diya 😍