Best Summer Ever

It had all ended so quickly.

Kayla yawned for the millionth time since the time she got into her father's car at the airport's parking lot.She felt super tired.

Super sleepy.

The flight had been long and in as much as she'd gladly welcome some sleep,the memories from the trip wouldn't give her a chance.

Eleven hours ago,she'd been seated between Naana and Mr.Arnold,the inn keeper,with everyone else,eating lunch in the backyard.

It had been a farewell lunch.

Everyone had brought her a farewell gift and her cheeks had been flooded with super goodbye kisses and her body with I'll miss you hugs.

Everyone had left after Pastor J had prayed and Naana had been glad to have some time with her alone before she'd have to drive her to the airport.

They'd chit chatted for sometime and Naana had spoken about a whole lot of things and had allowed her to rest her head on her lap as she brushed her hair like she'd used to do when Kayla was little.

Then the doorbell had rang

It had been Harriet.

She'd been surprised!.But one look at Naana and she knew she didn't hv to go far to know who'd set this meeting up.

Naana had cleverly left the living room after she'd admitted Harriet into the house.

They'd stood there in awkward silence staring at anything else in the room but each other until she'd finally broken the silent spell.

She led Harriet to her room and they sat on her bed as she packed.

Or at least she tried to.

They began with the small talks and then for a couple of tension filled minutes,no one spoke.

Then realizing this might be the last time she'd ever get to apologize to Harriet,she took the chance and did exactly that.

She explained the best possible way she could,her reason for having stayed away without in as much as a word to her in nine years.

Time had gone by so quickly and soon,it was time for her to leave.

Naana had come to the room to infirm them there was just about twenty minutes more left before they had to drive to the airport.And though it hadn't been like old times or anything,Harriet and her had gotten along alright.

She'd even helped her pack.

A smile tugged at her lips as the memory came calling.It was a good thing she'd straightened out things with Harriet.

She directed her gaze to her old man whose attention was completely glued to the road.

She'd missed him. So much.

That single thought sent her back to the emotional farewell Naana had given her at the airport.The old woman hadn't wanted to let her go.

She'd not wanted to either.

She remembered how she'd almost missed her flight because in as much as she'd promised herself she wasn't going to get emotional,she'd practically been a cry baby in Naana's arms.

Jay was never going to hear of this.

She suppressed a smile even as she thought this.

Of course he was.

The sneaky son of a bi*ch had given her a customized diary to make sure he'd know everything that had gone on during her summer in Evergreen.

And he was going to know exactly everything that had happened in her life during the summer.She knew the diary was going to be the first thing he demanded.

She was sure of that.

Two images popped up in front of her as she remembered Evergreen and everything it'd stood for in her life.

She shook her head unconciously as she realized how much she was beginning to miss the old country home.

How much she missed Naana.

A sad feeling crept into her emotion jar and she wished so much she hadn't gone into that.

For a brief moment,she thought she could still smell the homey fragrance of the town.But then she realized it was Naana's perfume lingering over her from hugging her so long.

The smell of home.

She'd promised Naana that she was gonna return next summer and she was already looking foward to it.

But then again.....

No,she was going to going to go.

Dad'll understand.

Maybe he'd even go with her.But she knew that was just wishful thinking.

Just then,she sat up in her seat as her phone screen lit up.

It was a text from Jay.

Look out your window.

She did just that.

And that's when she realized they were going by his house and her dad had purposely slowed down.

He waved at her from his window and she waved back at him,rolling her eyes at him as he mouthed

Did you bring it?.

She sat back in her seat after chuckling at his poor show of not missing her.

Eight

Seven

Six

Five

Four

Three

Two

One

And they were parked in their driveway.

Kayla jumped out of the car to meet Jay who was already at their doorstep.

She tried to embrace him,but he folded his arms and straightening has posture,he said

"Oh no you don't,hand it over first"

"Whaaat?",she replied feigning innocence.

He just stood there straight faced and lip shut staring at her.

After ten seconds,she gave up and thrust the diary he'd given her before she left into his hands.

But not before her eye caught the big bold letters that read;

BEST SUMMER EVER