One Bad Lie.....

As Kayla walked down the hallway towards her first class the next morning,she couldn't stop the nerves in her stomach.

Yesterday,when she'd entered the house after drying herself as best she could with the towel her Dad had given her,she'd been shocked yet relieved at the same time at the state of the living room.

It was empty.

Apparently Jay and Thellie had left right after her Dad came back home.

Which had been just five minutes after she left.

She'd later asked her Dad what he'd said to the two and he just shrugged saying

"Oh ", that's all I said. "Then I went upstairs and a minute later I heard Jay announcing that they'd be heading home now". 

Kayla had been a little angry at the fact that her Dad hadn't been able to cover for her.

But that not so existent anger disappeared when she realized she couldn't blame him for her actions.

Her Lies.

Looking back now,she realized how foolish it was an idea to ignore their texts after she'd lied to them.

In her defence,it'd seemed a good idea at that time.

Seeing they'd want an explanation

And knowing she'd had none to provide.

At least none that was the truth.

Reluctantly,she walked into the class right before the second bell went and for a brief second she'd been tempted to walk past her own seat for the sole purpose of avoiding the person who shared the seat right next to her.

Jay.

She'd wanted so much to skip this class but she knew that inevitably she'd have to talk to him.

Have to tell him something.

She made her way to her seat all the way avoiding eye contact with Jay who had noticed her when she walked in and had decided to make her the sole center of his attention.

She slipped into her seat without as much as a glance hoping he'd not say anything to her.

How wrong she was.

After five minutes of waiting for the teacher to come in,all the while feeling Jay's eyes burn holes into the side of her head while she pretended to be busy with some interestingly invisible chapter of her workbook,he leaned over and said in a very bored uninterested voice

"So,your Dad came home after you left".

Her heart did a summersault in her stomach.

"Uhm yeah so?",she asked, finding that all of yesterday's practice for this particular subject she'd rather avoid had left her.

Traitor.

He leaned in closer and she sank deeper into herself,willing her body to disappear.

Where are superpowers when you really need them? 

*So, you have another Dad I don't know of?",he asked calmly.

"No",she said sighing and still refusing to make eye contact.

Knowing that he'd see right through her if she did.

"So where'd you really go seeing your Dad who you'd apparently gone to meet  had come home alone and he really seemed lost when I asked about you then trying to act like he knew but I do not only know you too well but I know who you inherited your inability to lie from ",he let out all in one breath.

Uh- Uh

He was done stalling. 

She hated how straight to the point he could be sometimes.

She was cornered.

She chewed on her pen for what seemed like an eternity which actually was just about a minute and then she said with calmness she didn't feel and confidence she didn't have

" I went to get Dad a gift".

And this time she did make eye contact.

Daring him to question her further.

Daring him to not believe her.

He seemed perplexed for a while and she could see the wheels turning in his head when he remembered Friday was her Dad's birthday. He made one single gesture with his mouth forming into an

"Oh".

Inwardly,she smiled knowing that every other doubt or question he had had about her whereabouts yesterday had been answered with just one same sentence.

Then he asked her a question she had been expecting.

"Why didn't you just say so?".

Typical. 

He was so predictable.

At least mostly.

Most times......

Not so much.

She chuckled and he raised a questioning eyebrow already knowing where that question was leading to.

She turned in her seat to fully face him.

Then slowly,she tauntingly let out the words :

" Do you remember whose fault it was last year that Dad knew he was getting a helicopter ride across the Grand Canyon for his birthday?".

He smiled nervously.

"Right Jay,it was all you".

*That was last year. I've changed ",he said giving her a toothy grin.

Like hell he'd changed.

He'd said the same thing the year before

And the year before that

And the year before the year before that.

And the year before the year before the year before that year.

Yeah confusing

That's how many times he'd changed in five years.

Before either of them could say anything else,the substitute teacher walked in and brought and end to their conversation as they both shifted their attention to the blond Literature teacher.

But not before Kayla gave Jay the face.

The face that said

"Tell Dad about this and I'll make sure your balls are on the menu for dinner ".

Right before she could fully concentrate on what the teacher was saying,a small voice in the back of her head which she knew to be her conscience whispered

Way to go Kay.

One bad lie .....

But then she pushed the voice away before it could say anymore.

------------------------------------------------------

Hey Loves 😍😍 thank you for reading.

Hope you enjoyed it 😘😘

Please don't forget to

Vote

Comment

Follow

And

Share

Love - AmDiya 😍😍