Talking to Birds

(A/N: attention long time readers, please note that I added a new chapter in between chapters called The Quinwizard Tournament and Rita Skeeter and I added one before the chapter called Before the Second Task)

~Tessa~

I sat in the owlery the night before the third task. I was incredibly nervous. Hedwig sat with me. We were perched in one of the windows of the tower. I stared out at the trees as I gently stroked her feathers. She rested on my knees

She stared at me silently as I watched the sunset. I sighed softly and looked at her.

"I am so nervous.." I mumbled, "I don't know how tomorrow will go. I don't even know what the task is..."

She hooted softly.

"Harry for some reason is completely calm about it" I continued, "But I am... internally screaming.."

She hooted again.

"And now I'm talking to a bird... Well... At least you're a good listener Hedwig" I said, smoothing down her feathers.

She brushed her head against my fingers happily

I sighed softly and looked out the window.

"What am I going to do? Despite Draco's efforts, I'm not much better than when we started... I don't even know what to expect in the third task..." I said, "we could die.."

She hooted again.

"Then again you might not die" a voice said. I looked up in surprise.

Standing in the doorway was Cedric Diggory.

"Cedric! Hey!" I said with a nervous smile, how much had he heard? Was he freaked out because I was talking to my owl?

He chuckled "You have the same nervous tactics that I do" he said, pointing at Hedwig

"You talk to Hermes too?" I asked him (literally just made up a name for his owl)

"Yes. It's calming actually" he said, sitting in the window sill with me.

I sighed "So do you have any idea what's going to happen in the third task?" I asked him.

He shrugged "not a clue. You've done well in the tournament Tessa" he said, patting my shoulder.

"Thanks Cedric but... Is it enough? The third task is supposed to be the hardest" I said, looking down at the Black Lake, softly stroking Hedwig's head

"It is but you have an advantage over the rest of us" he said, looking at me.

"What's that?" I asked curiously

"Harry. You're a team" he said

"Yes but we're only a team because we're fourth years. I don't have the skill to match you guys on my own" I said, looking back at him

"Yes but working together you two could do great things" he said with a smile.

"I guess so..." I said softly.

"You shouldn't worry" he said

"And why not?" I asked

"Because worrying means you suffer twice" he said, giving me a small smile.

"You come up with that yourself?" I asked

"Nope. That quote is from Newt Scamander" he said

"Oh I see" I said with a small nod, "but it's hard not to worry"

"I know it is. You just need to keep a level head" he said

"I know that" I said

"You've surpassed death several times. This is just another day for you" he said

"Yeah that's true"

"And you have a more level head than our competition" he added

"What do you mean?" I asked

"Well. Fleur seems to still be shaken up after the second task. And Krum... He doesn't seem to be completely sane.." Cedric said, a troubled look in his eyes as he gazed over the grounds of Hogwarts

"I know what you mean. He just doesn't seem like he's all there" I said.

He chuckled "Glad we agree on something"

"Cedric... I'm your competition. Why are you being so nice?" I asked

"We've been helping each other throughout this entire tournament. You're the ones who told me about the dragons. Why did you do that?"

"Well... Hagrid told Harry and me. And Fleur's headmaster told her. And so did Krum's. We thought it was only fair that you knew what you were up against too" I said, looking at him.

"You've got a good heart Tessa. That could come in handy for you in the future." He said with a smile.

"Thanks Cedric... You know that tomorrow, we'll be against each other... We may even have to fight each other" I said softly

"I know. But I have faith that one of us will come through victorious" he said with a smile.

I smiled back. I couldn't help but notice that he had a slightly crooked smile. It wasn't anything bad. It was actually kind of nice.

"We should be getting to bed so that we don't get in trouble" Cedric said, hopping out of the window sill. He offered me a hand and I let him pulled me up.

I smiled at him and we left the tower together.

Alright. 800 words. Nice. Just giving these two a little bit of relation before good ol Edwa- I mean Cedric dies.