Chapter 25

*5 days later*

Kat's POV:

"I'll call you later tonight. Ok? Lock the doors and be safe!"

"Okay, and don't worry, I will babe. I love you & Stay out of trouble!"

"No promises" he says and I can picture the smirk curve on his lips. "I love you too, bye baby."

And with that, the line cuts. A dark cloud forms over me. Sam had just left this morning, but I already missed him. Knowing there were thousands of miles between us only made me miss him more. I want to have him next me, feel his hugs.. his touch, but I know he needed to see and be with his family.

I sigh as I put my phone down on the kitchen counter. I look up and see the sun lightly shining through the large windowpanes of Shawn's apartment, exposing the tiny specs of dust that floated in the air. I walk over & stand by the panes of glass, looking over the city admiring the sun slowly hiding away. The thought of being on the top of a 600 feet building didn't seem to bother me. My fear of heights was nothing compared to all the agony I went through. It's quiet pathetic thinking about it now. I mean, why was I afraid of air?

"Don't fall out the window now." I hear Shawn say behind me.

I jump at his presence. "Oh my god! You scared me."

"Yea, I can see" he says with a laugh.

I roll my eyes and turn back around. "I was just admiring the view."

"Was that sam on the phone?" he asks stepping forward.

"Yeah, he just landed." I sighed out.

"It's only a week Kat. He'll be back. Cheer up." He says, grabbing my shoulder and squeezing it. He gives me a wide smile.

I smile back and nod. He was right. Sam will be back.

"So, what do you want to do?" he says walking over towards the kitchen.

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you." I nervously say.

"About?" he asks, opening the refrigerator.

"Why you sat jack in the same table as me and sam?" I say sitting down on a chair at the kitchen counter.

"I didn't think it'll be a big deal." He states as he poured water into a cup.

"Are you serious?" I snap at him. How the fuck could he think it wouldn't be a big deal? He knows how much pain and hurt it is to even mention Jack's name. Of course it'd be a big deal to sit next to him after months of agony and nightmares.

"Yes" he replies, taking a sip from his cup. The tone in his voice calm. As if this situation didn't matter.

"Wow." Are the only words that manage to escape my mouth.

He laughs "Kat, you can't honestly be mad at me for this?"

"Well, I am." I reply annoyed.

"That's bullshit." He snaps back. His cheeks flashing red. I could see anger in his eyes. "Just a second ago you were upset about not seeing sam for a week and now you're bitching at me for sitting you next to Jack? Why are you upset at me for that? You & Jack have been over for 6 months now and you're with sam. Don't be complaining to me for sitting jack at the same table as you, when you should have already been over him."

I felt my stomach drop. His words hurt. My eyes look away from him. I can feel the tears prick in my eyes. As much as it pains me, he's right. "You're right." I breath out. I get up and make me way towards the door.

"No, Kat wait." I don't listen and walk out.

"Kat, I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I sai-"

"No Shawn. You're right, I should be over him. But, I'm not. I still care about him. He still has a huge hold on me. And you know that. You know how much he affects me.. and you still sat him next to me." I say while cutting him off. I was mad. Mad at Shawn but mostly at myself. At how pathetic I am to still feel something for jack.
The elevator door opens and I walk in. As they close, tears fall from my eyes. I shut them quickly. "im not shedding anymore tears for that asshole." I whisper to myself.

--

I decide to walk to my house to cool myself down. As I walked, I admired the beauty of the city at night. Everything is lite up and feels so alive. I decide to walk through Times Square to get things off my mind. While I walked, I felt my phone ring. I smile as I see that it's sam.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey babe." He says through what seems to be a smile.

"Sam, it hasn't even been an hour since your last call." I say with a small laugh.

"I know, but I missed your voice." He says with a small chuckle. I feel the butterflies in my stomach flutter as I picture his cheesy grin.

I sigh. I feel so conflicted by the conversation I had with Shawn that hearing sam only confused me more.

"Is everything okay?" he asks.

" Yeah.. I just miss you already." I sigh out, not wanting to worry him. "hey, I'll call you when I get home. Ok?" I add.

"For sure babe." he responds.

I smile and cut the line. I turn the corner and see a guy lift his foot and slam it down onto another man's ribs.
"Hey! Leave him alone!" I shout, running towards him. He looks up and starts to run the opposite direction.

I walk up to the man who was curled over as pain shot through him.
He groaned and sat up slowly. My heart dropped as I saw his face. He wrapped an arm around his ribs as he stood up slowly, wincing at the pain. "K-Kat.. is that you?" he painfully breathes out. I felt tears form in my eyes, he looked like hell. I manage myself and breath out "Yeah jack, it's me."