Chapter 21

Josh was searching frantically through the apartment for anything and everything Tyler could find comforting.

Two nights before, he was rushed to the hospital. His lungs had filled with water while he was on the biPAP.

He was currently in the ICU. Josh was fanatic and scared and horrified and everything in between. He wanted his fiancé to be healthy and feel safe and secure.

He grabbed everything he could think of, throwing it in a big bag before racing back to the hospital.

"Hi, baby," he said softly as he saw his fiancé was awake. This was the first time in two days he'd been up during visiting hours.

From 12-4, Josh could be with Tyler. Other than that, he wasn't allowed to see him.

But he'd receive reports on when he was awake, what he ate, what he said.

Every time he asked for 'his Joshua.'

"Josh," he whimpered weakly.

Josh rushed to his side, taking his hand in his own and making sure to be careful with the IV. "How are you feeling?"

Tyler moved his hospital gown so Josh could see the tube they had inserted into his side to suck the fluid from his lungs.

Josh sighed as he saw it. The nurses and doctors had told him, but seeing his fiancé actually with a tube inside of him made him so sad. "I'm so sorry, baby."

Tyler was going back and forth between being hot and cold. One minute he'd be shivering, the next he'd be drenched in sweat.

Eventually, visiting hours were over.

"I-I want you to stay, Josh."

"I-I know, baby. I know. I-I wanna stay too, but they won't let me. I gotta go," Josh said softly.

He kissed Tyler's forehead. "I love you so much. I'll see you tomorrow, ok? Is there anything you want me to bring for you?"

"My ring and sugar cookies."

Tyler had swelled up a fair amount to the point where his engagement ring was starting to cut off his circulation so he had to take it off at home before the ambulance came.

Also, he had been craving sugar cookies for days.

"I'll make sure I bring those things," Josh said softly. "Maybe I'll bring my laptop so we can watch Netflix."

Tyler nodded. "A-and snuggle."

"I don't think we can snuggle, baby. Not while you're in ICU, at least. We don't want to accidentally pull out a tube or anything."

Tyler nodded again, sadly this time.

"I love you," Josh reminded him.

Just then, the nurse stepped in to tell Josh visiting hours were over.

"I love you too," Tyler said before she could say anything.

Josh kissed his forehead again before leaving the hospital.