70: can call me artist (can call me idol!) / namseok

CAN CALL ME
ARTIST (CAN CALL ME
IDOL!)
( part 1 )

WORD COUNT 3.7k
OVERVIEW namjoon's one of the biggest names in kpop, and hoseok's one of his biggest fans. but namjoon has a secret, that could have a lot of backlash...

THE COLLEGE BELL'S LOUD ring makes every student of gwanju college of arts flinch, suddenly bustling to get to their classes, elbowing their ways through huge crowds that block up the hallways like ants scurrying through their small tunnels. it's a tired, dreary wednesday midmorning, and no one in class 11A wants to have music theory with professor boo — well, maybe hansol does, what with his huge crush on the teacher.

a pen spins between the long fingers of a very bored boy with long hair the colour of the permanent marker doodles scrawled across his hands, opening his notebook as professor 'please call me seungkwan' boo walks to the front of the class, removing his red blazer — the class can almost hear hansol internally screaming. the professor begins to chalk up the summary of that day's lesson, while our protagonist doodles line friends cartoons in the margins of his notebook, something he's been scolded for multiple times.

"psst, hobi."

the ebony haired jung hoseok turns around as he hears his nickname hissed by another student, swiping his hair away from his eyes to see soonyoung, a dance-and-music major like hoseok. the blonde smiles sweetly.

"when was the assignment for boo's class due?" he asks, sheepish, making hoseok grin with a roll of his eyes.

"soon, it was for today!" soonyoung's neighbouring seat, hyuna — the hottest girl in 11A, if not the school, double major in music and art — says, making soonyoung mutter a quiet 'shit!'. hoseok laughs at his misfortune, turning around to see that professor boo had written 'presentation of class assignments' as their summary. soonyoung is so fucked.

"so, i presume you've all done the assignments," professor boo says, a smug smile on his face because he knows they haven't. "but let's go over the topic again: you had to pick a song to cover, practice it, do an acoustic version of the beat and present it today."

hoseok nods along to the teacher's words, but he's actually doodling in his notebook. he had the assignment done and dusted ages ago, so he has nothing to worry about; he chose a song he's familiar with, got a friend to do guitar and piano for the backing track, and made sure he knew everything. for now, he's content with writing lyrics in purple pen in the margins of his music theory notebook. scrawled under a drawing of rilakkuma, there's 'but now i don't know me, who are you?', while under ryan — his idol's favourite line friend —, there's 'i wish i could love myself'. hoseok smiles as he writes more, his head filled with music.

"jung hoseok!" professor boo calls, making hoseok jerk his head up with a smile. "you're up. show us what you prepared."

hoseok gets up and goes to where professor boo has set up a mic and a laptop with a speaker system, taking the USB with the audio file out of his pocket. adopting the college's 'comfortable yet modest' dress code, he's in sweatpants and an old SHINee t-shirt, imitation puma sliders on his feet, and his hands are covered in drawings thanks to his art friend tae, who loves testing out new tattoo designs on hoseok's skin in permanent marker.

"what have you prepared for me, hoseok?" professor boo asks, hands behind his back. hoseok smiles sheepishly.

"i'm singing — well, rapping — change, by RM and wale." he says, and professor boo smiles.