87: back to ninety four / jingguk

BACK TO
NINETY FOUR

WORD COUNT 6k

OVERVIEW jeongguk has a crush on his neighbour, but he's much older. jeongguk wishes he could go back to a time when seokjin was his age, and he learns an age-old lesson; "careful what you wish for" ( nsfw warning! there's a few dots of smut yeet )
NOTES hi hey this is actually gcfseok 's idea that she let me write cause sofia is a sweetheart and a genius!! go read her fics!! // also, Valdesu_nim is adapting this into a full length fic, which can be found on their profile !
PLAYLIST 1999 / charli xcx & troye sivan, summer127 / nct127, super rich kids / frank ocean

    CALIFORNIA SUMMERS, 2018: THE SUN scorches vrigin pale skin, baking bodies through to the core; teens guzzle soda pop and listen to their favourite bands through white ipod headphones, skateboarding down streets. jeongguk misses that reckless youthful life.

jeon jeongguk, 21, lounges on the roof of his house, alone with a six-pack of beer and a book, music playing from a small speaker beside him. he pushes his sunglasses up his nose and lazily tries to focus on the words on the page, but they seem to swim across the paper and away from his brain. he sighs; it's gotta be the heat, roasting him like a hunk of meat, and he ain't about that. he snaps the book shut.

his house has neighbours on the side and on the back, and on some days, when jeongguk's up on the roof, he inadvertently becomes a bit of a nosy bastard vis a vis the neighbours to his left. it's not intentional, he swears.

it's the long, hot summer holidays, and mr and mrs kim's kids are splashing around in their malibu-worthy azure swimming pool, the two boys of seven and thirteen — jeongguk drives them to school sometimes — throwing water at each other and yelling, both with their mother's deep black hair. if jeongguk angles himself just right, he can spot mr kim — or "just seokjin", as he's been told many times — laying on a sunlounger and reading a book.

kim seokjin is a hunk of broad shoulders, long legs and muscular chest, topped off with vanilla blonde hair, deep brown eyes, and the plumpest lips mankind's ever witnessed. he's all sunny days and wide smiles, a very caring dad and a lovely neighbour; on jeongguk's first day in the neighbourhood, just a year ago, seokjin swanned over in a dress shirt and slacks, with a bottle of more-expensive-than-jeongguk's-taste wine and a box of cookies as a welcome present, insisting that jeongguk come over for dinner some time. and jeongguk, dazed by the pure beauty of his neighbour, stuttered out a yes.

he met seokjin's lovely (and very attractive) wife, seulgi, and their two boys, tae-o and yoobin, less than a week later, when he'd sheepishly showed up at their front door, just a kid in comparison to seokjin and seulgi's 35 years. surprisingly enough, dinner hadn't been awkward; seulgi asked jeongguk all sorts of questions about his school life, the boys were fascinated by the fact that jeongguk knew how to skateboard and bmx (he promised to teach them), and seokjin was quiet, calm and collected, only occasionally throwing a few questions jeongguk's way.

but, all the way through, jeongguk had had some strange feeling in his chest. he put it off as slight heartburn, inherited from his father, and he made sure to take some meds when he got back home. it didn't go away, though, and he wondered what on earth it was.

a few weeks later, when the spring weather turned hotter, it revealed itself for what it truly was.

jeongguk was out of sugar, nescafé pods, and milk, and he didn't have enough gas in his car because his dumbass friend jimin had taken it out the other day and not refuelled it. so, in desperation, he of course turned to his neighbours; at ten in the morning, he stumbled next door in his flip flops and a baggy t-shirt, hoping to ask seulgi to borrow some stuff.