Chapter 7

Chapter 7

It was nearly as surreal as it was the first time we spoke after three years.  Mostly because I really still couldn't grasp the actual concept of him being here.  Here.  Right now and before my eyes.  Even as I stared into his gaze... I couldn't believe it.  I had enough time to accept this actually happened yet it seemed hard.  The shock faded slowly as we began to talk but it was still there.  Even if just laced over the conversation and the presence of him.

Since the basement of Express had some things in storage and extra tables and chairs, we put those to use.  Under the lonely light bulb hanging over our heads, we sat facing each other.  It lit up our surroundings enough to let me take him in, staring; it was probably making myself look like a creep doing it as we talked.  Before we spoke I just stared at him as we sat there.  And even now as we were conversing, my eyes didn't slow.  I penetrated his deep eyes.  I stared down and into the depths of them.  I felt almost desperate to fall into them.  I wanted to know when his shade of green grew duller.  I wanted to know how besides the obvious why of it being my fault.  I wanted to know everything.  I wanted to know why his face looked thinner even if he was just as attractive.  I wanted to know why his hair was different besides three years passing and change always happening being the answer.  So I just stared... as if that would do anything.  I stared at his swallowing eyes, those lips that made my heart beat faster at the memories. I glanced down him and his blue striped button up and jeans.  I was so fascinated by everything in front of me that was of him.  That's why I said what I did after the first few words of awkward conversation between us both.

"I want to know what happened," I whispered gently, searching his eyes.  Luke knew what I was talking about. He understood I wanted to know about what's been going on with him and the family the last three years.   

He looked just as fascinated and interested in me as I was him.  He probably wanted more answers himself. His eyebrows lowered gently as his eyes gazed deeper into mine when he heard me. He almost looked more emotionless.  Then again, his face was pretty void of it to start with his guarded eyes. "As in what?"

"As in... well, what happened after I left?  What did you go through?  How is your family? Just... everything I guess," I said, looking down and away from his eyes for the first time.  Partially because his eyes grew in heat and it wasn't one I liked.  It was one that warned me to not ask.  Because he knew I wouldn't want some of those answers.  

I felt a hard ping in my chest at seeing this.  His eyes so hurt and angry and yet so full of relief to as he searched my eyes.  And that wasn't even talking about how tense I noticed his body becoming.  "You don't need to know," he said gravely and it made my stomach twist.  "Instead, I want to know something," he took a deep breath and looked a little more normal in terms of emotion.  He pursed his lips, looking a little concerned.  "You said the FBI lied to you... Then you mentioned before that this guy watching out for you, your guardian, probably lied then too....  Is that who you punched in the face last night?"  Besides the initial shock, I was taken aback at seeing a smirk come to his lips for a moment, even though it was there for no more than a second.

I stared at him for a very long second.  My jaw tightened as did my fists that were resting in my lap where I was sitting in the wooden seat.  I took in a deep breath.  I could tell he was conscious of the fact that he knew I would be upset about that.  Good.  He better if he wanted to block my possible out lash.  "You were spying on me?" I asked him in a deep voice, my lips screwing up in a scowl.

He scoffed gently, closing his eyes off from mine.  I watched him lick his lips.  He looked a little embarrassed but not much.  He watched me closely and just shrugged, speaking as if I should have known from the start he would spy. Was he crazy or what guys?  I mean fuck.... He sure seemed to have a reasonable explanation though.  "You think, after three years, I am going to trust you?  You think I was going to just let you walk away and not at least see where you were living?  For all I knew, you were going home, packing up, and leaving town and never planning to see me again."