White Lie

Yet another sleepless night for Selene.

Still shaken up from the happenings of last night, she looked into the mirror to see a lifeless face staring back. Her hair a mess, bags under her eyes and her face pale. She washed herself with shaky hands and decided that maybe a bath would make her relax.

Quickly preparing the hot water and throwing in some scented shampoo inside, she undressed herself and sat in the warm water.

Her muscles relaxed but her heart didn't.

As she laid in the silence all her thoughts were running wild. She almost got raped, stabbed, maybe even killed, but that hero came in the perfect time saving her. Not only did she feel afraid to step outside again, she also felt a sense of relief knowing that maybe, just maybe, he would come again and save her. But god forbid a situation like that come again. She felt like she owed her life to the strong man. And she wouldn't feel at ease if she didn't see him again to properly thank him. She did say 'thank you' to him but that wasn't even close to the gratitude she wanted to give him.
Maybe, she even wanted to see him again just for the purpose of it. She wanted to see him, but really look at him again. To look at his eyes and to feel that prominent aura surrounding him. She wanted to be able to turn back time just to be near him like she was years ago...when they went to school. They were in the same school since they were toddlers and even though she's been denying it for a long time, she did feel an immense attraction towards him.
She's barely ever spoken to him, as a kid and a teen she was too afraid to approach him and she still hasn't changed. A perfect opportunity to talk to him was the party a few nights ago, but she couldn't muster up the courage. First if all she couldn't because she feared him and second- people would start whispering and talking gossip about her. She didn't want that unneeded attention to herself.

Noticing an hour has passed already and the fact that the water was getting colder, Selene got out of the bath and after drying herself she went downstairs to have breakfast.
"Good morning." She greeted her parents that were oddly silent. They usually rambled all morning.
"Selene," Her mother started, "Are you aware of the killing that happened last night right in front of you gallery?" She looked at her with questioning eyes. Selene turned her gaze to her father but he had the same look.
"Um...no. What happened?" Selene said deciding maybe it was best she lied.
"Three men were brutally killed. The reasoning is still unknown." Her mother explained.
"Oh, that's awful." Selene faked a gasp. Hopefully it was believable.
"Selene, we know you were there at that time. If you saw something, or if something happened to you-"
"No! I'm just hearing about this." Selene stopped her father mid sentence a little too loudly.
"I-I was at the gallery but I left and went to have a drink when it got late. Thankfully I had left."
'Please believe me...' Selene pleaded silently.
"Oh, thank god. If you were there and someone attacked you then...Oh honey I wouldn't know what I'd do with myself." Her mother sobbed.
"Mother, don't be sad. I'm all good. Nothing happened. Please don't worry." Selene took her mother's hand and squeezed it. Now she felt bad for lying, but it was for the best.
If she told the truth her parents would only complicate everything and Selene didn't need that. She was fine anyway, so it's just like it never happened.