*Special* Second opinion

MAY 17, 20XXSUNDAY'A little past midnight'

MAY 17, 20XX
SUNDAY
'A little past midnight'

"I'm what?"

The difficulty I have in speaking causes my voice to break.

I can't process what the doctor is telling me.

This is all a dream.

I know that in reality I am in the operating room, still under anesthesia--- I just had to be.

Yet, the sling and the pain in my arm said otherwise.

My chest feels tight and the tears slip down my cheek, hitting the bed sheets.

"I'm...cured?"

My chest had used all my breath to say those words that I was now drowning.

Tears from my eyes just start to flow out.

There's only one person on my mind.

Jennie.

My girlfriend.

My love.

My everything.

I want nothing more than to live and spend the rest of my life with her.

"You aren't cured because you never had osteosarcoma to begin with. The doctors at this hospital misdiagnosed you."

"The doctors at this hospital?" I try to recuperate my vision that has become distorted through my tears.

"We're research doctors from the nation's top hospital. We were brought over through a donation in order to thoroughly investigate your case."

Donation?

"The explanation is complex, but I'll try to make it easy to understand."

I stare at the doctor, trying to make the hallucination go away.

He has a seat on the chair next to my bed.

"You were sick before all this happened. You had mono. Mono is linked to the excess production of the important cells of the immune system which can be found in parts of your body... like bone marrow. An excess amount can result in tumors and tumors can cause the lesions.."

The doctor points to my arm in a sling.

"...right there. Those lesions are to blame. They are mistaken as signs of osteosarcoma..."

I bite down hard on my lip to prevent the sobs trying to come out.

"Any other tumors in any other parts of your body would have been confirmation of osteosarcoma. There are none. You're going to be fine with some antibiotics."

I collapse in a tangent of tears, hugging my pillow and biting it to suppress my sobs.

Jennie, I lied to you.

I was scared.

I thought what I had wasn't treatable.

I was dying.

I was dying and I tried to make you believe I wasn't.

I told myself I didn't want you to worry so much about me.

The truth was that I was selfish in the way that I didn't want to see you cry before I died.

It would make things harder for me.

The doctor places a hand on my shoulder as I shake uncontrollably.

He starts talking to the nurses and everyone around me, but I can't understand it all.

All I know, is that I took a chance.

I took the chance to keep on loving you.