50. escape plan

Clarke returned within the hour.

Apparently President Wallace had taken her to see Shaw-the dead guard with the bullet wound- well that's where it gets tricky. According to the Mountain People, it was an arrow wound, not a gun shot.

"That's impossible." I argued as she, Jasper and I stopped by our bunks, "It was a bullet wound, I'm sure."

Jasper sighed, clearly getting fed up with our antics, "Or," he drawled, "It was actually an arrow wound."

Clarke leaned against the bunks, "Maybe that's what they want us to think."

Jasper gave her a look and she raised her eyebrows, "What? They could have doctored it."

Miller, who was sitting in his bunk, was not watching us skeptically.

"Clarke," Jasper started, lowering his voice, "You sound like a crazy person. Both of you." he added, turning to me, "Avery, I saw you fighting with that guy today-"

Clarke sent me a look at the mention of mine and Landen's argument, "It wasn't a fight." I promised, "Just a miscommunication."

Jasper continued, "-Why do you guys want to screw this up for us?"

I felt a pang in my heart at Jasper's words. That was never what I was trying to do, I wanted what was best for everyone and I didn't think that this was the place where everyone was safe.

"I don't know what this is!" Clarke argued.

Jasper smiled softly, "This is...safe. A real bed, food, clothes." he pointed to all of the commodities as he spoke, "And my personal favourite, not getting speared by Grounders." Pausing, he looked between the two of us, "How long do you think they'll let us stay here if you two keep this up?"

Clarke stared back at Jasper for a moment, her face covered in concern, "Did someone threaten you?" she asked, standing so she was closer to Jasper.

The shaggy haired boy shook his head with a small laugh, "No, no. It's common sense. Look, we're guests here, not prisoners. What would you do with a guest who kept calling you a liar and generally acted like an ungrateful ass."

"Kick the ungrateful ass out." Miller chipped in from his bunk.

I turned to shoot him a glare before turning to Jasper, "Well, if I really was a liar then maybe I would tell the ungrateful ass the truth-that usually fixes things."

Jasper shook his head at me, "Stop being difficult, Avery."

I shrugged, "I'm speaking the truth, Jasper. I've told you that I'm not happy in here, I don't know what else you want from me. I won't be happy until-"

Jasper threw his head back in frustration, "Until your brother is back, I know. But maybe it's time to face the truth, Avery. You're safe in here, and it's likely that your brother is gone-I fired those rockets, I know what they did. Don't you think he would want you to be happy, not live every moment trying to break out of a place where you're safe?"

My heart dropped at his words, tears instantly springing to my eyes. I knew Jasper didn't mean what he said, that wasn't the Jasper I knew, the one who told me less than an hour ago that everything was going to be fine. But it didn't make the whip of his words hurt any less.

Clarke's mouth was hanging open, as was Miller's. I gave Jasper a small nod before turning and rushing to the washroom before he could follow.

"Nice job, man." I could hear Miller chastise Jasper as I walked away.

Another reason I hated this place-it was turning my friends into assholes.

---