I climbed out of the dirt. 

Looked around,

saw nothing but flames.

And started to limp away.

Because my life depends on it.

I have no sense of time, at all.
My senses may as well be dead.
Like I should be. 

It was night. That's all I was aware of. The stars dotted across the sky and a crescent moon. I stopped dead in my tracks once I saw my escape vehicle.

A bike.

A motorbike to be exact. 

I jumped on and placed on the helmet that was on the floor.

If Danny's dead like I hope, he will have no need for this.

A man had just arrived before I set the fire, so luckily for me, the keys are in the ignition. I turned them and started heading down the dirt path north. My breath kept on making vision blurred through the helmet, but I kept on going.

I need to find Oceane.

I broke out through the bushes, the bike skidded against the tarmac, I was nearly thrown off by it. I turned a sharp left and headed into town. I looked to my right to see nothing but smoke pouring out of the treetops, creating a haze.

No one could survive that.

In the distance, I heard sirens coming my way and the sky turned red and blue with light. Before I knew it, I was turning up the speed, driving away from a disaster I had caused...

Saving Emma: The Art Of Falling.

Book 6

The first place I need to go to is my apartment. I need a shower, new clothes and to check out this damn leg of mine. I'm going to go to Emma's home and see if she has returned from Johns and see if she has any Idea at all of where Oceane is. Oh yeah, and try not to let on that I was kidnapped by her fiance. If she doesn't know I will go to Drew's. A nice drop in surprise.

I cursed realising I didn't have my phone as I continued on into town. The ambulance, fire engine and police went straight past me. The lights in town became brighter as I headed in. 

Placing the bike away from my place, before I got off, I checked my face in the mirror. Covered in dirt, blood and gashes. My white vest was now a murky grey. Kind of regretting giving my shirt to her now. I winced as I swung my legs over and started to walk to the front of the building.

Outside I  picked up my spare key from under the door matt and headed inside. Letters lay over the walkway, but I just walked straight through them. With a huff, I opened up the door to my room. The cold air hit me right in the face as I walked over the broken glass that lay on the floor. I flicked on the light and looked into the mirror, placing my hands on the sink sides, leaving a messy, dirty handprint. My scarred arms and face did not look appealing at all. I knocked my head back and turned on the shower. Walking out of the bathroom, I went into the kitchen and looked into the fridge. The light buzzed and flickered as I found what I was looking for.

Whiskey.

Sweet, sweet whiskey.

I popped open the bottle and poured a glass out. I drank it all in one sip. 

I removed my vest with one swift movement over my head and chucked it on the bed. Even my chest was covered in grime.  After undressing fully,  I stepped in the shower and let the water fall over me. 

I watch the dirt and blood glide off my body.

The pain

The anger.

I watched it swirl around the drain and eventually disappear. 

But all I could think was

what the hell do I do?

After fifteen minutes or so I went into my wardrobe and pulled out a black button-up shirt, black jeans and black desert boots. Before I pulled on my jeans, I removed the support Oceane had made to see the heavily darkened area on my leg. I'm going to need to get that sorted. I put my arms through my shirt and I left a few buttons undone at the top then I put on some cologne. The time appeared to be 10:45 pm. Hopefully, Emma is still up. Taking my keys and jacket, I headed out of the apartment and limped my way into the elevator. 

Once I reached Emma's, I placed the helmet on the top of the bike and pressed the doorbell and waited. 

"....Flynn?" She said when she opened the door. She smiled and jumped on to me. I tried not to make my pain noticeable.

"Hey Em." I said as I gripped her tightly and placed my chin on top of her head.  It feels great to hold my little sister again.

"Don't ever go away without calling ever again." She playfully nudged me as we entered her house. 

"You did it too sis. John of all people?" I continued.

"You mean, Dad. Yes, Dad. Look Danny and I are fine. He said that we are getting married in the next month. No more time to waste he said." She sat down with me on the sofa.

"Now that Girlfriend of yours has disappeared too!"She picked up the remote control to her TV.

I coughed and said, "She has?" Emma looked at me inquisitively. "I mean she was at Drew's place I didn't realize she had left." I covered up my slight slip up.

Oh God, where the hell is she?

"Well, I don't know." She said as she flicked to the news channel.

"Breaking news: A fire has been located at Oxbow riverside at the old worker's cabin. A car has been located at the scene turned over and appears to be covered in blood. This leaves officials to believe there is somewhere a fatality or casualty. Keep watching tonight as the story unfolds."

A car?

Why is there a car?

"Em, can you rewind to that car again?" I asked. She did so and I noticed something.

Drew's car.

It was. 

I'm sure of it.

"Isn't that..." She said stuttered at the TV.

"Em stay here. I'm going to Drew's." I cut her off, got up and left as quickly as I had arrived.

Why the hell was Drew's car there?

Covered in blood?

I got back on the bike and as fast as I could and headed to his place.

Well, I know what you're thinking, but he wouldn't have been there...

Would he?