A Reasonable Distrust of the Media

The butterflies in my stomach intensified the closer the hour drew. I went about my shift with a nervous aura about me.

My father took notice, his eyebrow arching, "You okay, girly? Did that attempted robbery last night shake you up a little?"

"No, no! I mean, yeah, it did, but-!" I stutter when I'm nervous. It gets a little harder to breathe. Slowly, I took a deep breath, "I'm...going on a date."

"What!?" Oh, dad, you and your protectiveness. "Tell me about this guy, and maybe I won't beat him up!"

"Dad, dad...He's a pro-hero. His hero name is All Might, and he said he'd give me his real one tonight. He's...really sweet. He gave me flowers after punching that villain. For the record, he said he'd pay for the window." I blushed at the memories of him being so kind and flirtatious.

"All Might, eh? A bit of a rising star for sure. I've seen that name in the news." He tapped his chin as he obviously thought back to certain articles and news coverage. "I...I think I could allow it. He'll keep you safe."

"Yeah, he proved that last night. Sure, he was doing his job, but you know...He's...really great." I swooned, watching my father groan in a small amount of anger, feigning legitimate disgust. He didn't like seeing his little girl grow up, especially when she thinks about getting married.

Though I was playing with his emotions, I genuinely began to picture myself with All Might. He was very handsome. He couldn't be much older than me, I was only nineteen and definitely looked it. My best guess was about twenty-five. But...damn, could I picture him laughing and holding me, carrying me down the aisle at our wedding. I did recognize him from TV as well, now that dad mentioned it...

All I knew for sure was that I definitively wanted to get to know him more for who he was outside of his hero work.

🌻————🌻

After the shift ended, I changed into a comfortable, semi-casual outfit. I pinned my hair back, putting on a little bit of makeup. I didn't want to go overboard by over-dressing or under-dressing.

He'd be here soon.

For a few more minutes, I'd stand here and wait for him, but if he didn't come soon, I'd wait inside. It was really warm out here tonight. I pulled at the collar on my blouse, wiping the sweat from nerve and heat on my heck away with the back of my hand. "Please come soon, All Might..."

"Hello, Y/n!" I jumped maybe five feet into the air from surprise. I looked up to see the large and burly All Might wearing a plain pair of jeans with a collared shirt tucked into them. How...American of him?

"Hi, All Might!" I gazed up into his eyes, seeing that he was obviously just as timid as me when it came to the aspect of going on a date. "Where are we going tonight?"

"I know a place down the block if you don't mind following me." He cleared his throat, trying to keep his increasingly cringe-like smile up as he held out his hand. "It's not too far."

I hesitated for some reason. It's like my hand weighed five hundred pounds suddenly. By the grace of whatever deity is out there, I managed to lift my hand to his, clasping it. His hands were so big and also rather callous.

"Great, let's go." I coughed awkwardly, my face red.

All Might led me down the sidewalk, holding his hand low and trying not to swing it as we walked. He was being utterly delicate and gentle with me.

A look at his face and the way he carried himself showed me that his attitude was different from the confident man I met the night before. He was appearing to be worried, maybe even a little paranoid. His blue eyes occasionally darted into alleyways or to doorways to street-side apartments. It was as if he was watching out for someone.