Out With a Bang

It felt like everything was being viewed through the mud. In light of the news that David was working illegally to obtain his Quirk-bolstering creation for my husband Toshinori, I felt hazy and overwhelmed. I felt like I could throw up when I heard the lead villain's voice, my heart sinking deep into my stomach and leaping into my throat at the same time.

Midoriya's body engulfed in the display of One For All, ready to jump forward and attack the criminal. "You're the boss!"

However, a wry smile and a nonchalant movement of his hand to touch the wall beside him was his response, activating his own power to entangle Izuku within a prison of metal bars. So he could manipulate metal...

Melissa ran for him, "Oh no! Deku!"

I felt stuck. It was fear prickling the corners of my eyes and not sadness. I was absolutely petrified of my own friend and these monsters that he and his associate hired. How could they not bother to do a background check and ensure that this was truly meant to be fake? These guys were real, and with the system offline, I had no assurance that Toshinori would come to save us and end this trap. How would he react when he found out his best friend was conspiring with criminals? It would surely break his confidence if he somehow found out in a fight.

The metallic villain came closer to me, and I backed up. This was an odd form of fight or flight mixed with adrenaline that made my heart pound in my ears. He seemed to disregard me...for now.

"You'd be smart not to resist. Sam, hand it over..." He ordered.

The larger older man took the briefcase from Dave's grasp, "Right! Urh...Here you go!" He began to trot down the stairs.

The newest turn of events made my eyes widen with David's.

"Sam?! This was your plan?" David hissed with betrayal and venom on the edges of his voice. "You were gonna hand it over all along?"

Sam paused, "You're the one who tricked me, professor. I've been your assistant for all these years...and you let them take our work. We could have had fame and fortune, but no...! I deserve more...I need to be rewarded, otherwise, my career was a complete waste of time."

This was one extremely large revelation after revelation.

That's when I thought it couldn't get much worse...the villains would take what they needed and fuck off, but that's when the leader raised his pistol to be level with Sam's shoulder. "Here's your payment."

The gunshot rang in my ears. I didn't even know Sam that well and my knees were about to give out. This felt so much like what happened at the USJ!

"No...argh...this wasn't part of the plan!" Sam cried painfully, holding his bloodied arm.

"Really? Isn't that strange? Because it was always part of mine!" He pulled back the hammer to fire again, and my knees half-buckled when the second bang filled the room.

I thought Sam to be dead, but then I saw a second figure had taken the shot in his place. I almost hurled my dinner up then and there when Dave fell to the ground, having taken the shot point-blank to his shoulder.

"Dave, no!" I tried to spring forward on my heel, but I immediately collapsed onto my knees, the metal scraping against them. Tears from earlier poured like torrential rain down my face.

"Papa!" Melissa sobbed, dashing forward.

"Stay back!" Dave and I called, almost at the same time.

The villain whipped her roughly across the face with his gun, sending her spiraling to the floor.

"Melissa!" Something clicked in my chest then, as if a match had been thrown into a sea of gasoline. I crawled forward to her and held her, feeling like a protective mother bear. I brushed her blonde hair from her face and checked for a wound. She weakly grabbed onto me and wept from the pain on her cheek, the redness already indicating she would have a bruise.