A Dream that Turns into a Nightmare

Midoriya was unconscious still when I reached the hospital. I heard he awoke today, but I was too tired to move from my protected place.

I functioned almost purely on keeping myself busy and worry these past three days. As the sun began to lower into the sky today, I sat in my mother's apartment with my exhaustion quite evident.

"You should go to sleep, sweetheart." Mom pat my head gently.

I shook my head, sipping the lemon tea I held in my grasp. "I got to sleep last night, I promised Toshi I'd be here waiting when he got back from the mission."

"That could be all night and day tomorrow." She crossed her arms. "You know how heroes work. They do their job, arrest villains, and help in the investigation. He might have to provide evidence and stay with the child that was kidnapped until his parents come and get him. Who knows how long that could take!"

I turned my eyes to the TV, playing the news which covered the kidnapping and the press-conference soon to begin. A perfect cover-up, might I add... She was right, it could take an almost unbearable amount of time. "It's taking place in this city, mom...I mean, you're correct about all that stuff, but people acknowledge he's got a wife to get home to." How selfish, Y/n.

"So does Endeavor, and he's involved, too. He also has children to get home to..."

I stiffened lightly for two reasons. One, because of my awareness of where Rei Todoroki was and how Enji treated his children- at least previously- behind closed doors. Two, because Toshinori really only did have me to return home to. At least we were trying to have a baby, and he would soon come home to the open arms of his wife and child.

"True..."

The colors of the sunset outside of the windows reminded me of Toshinori again. I smiled softly and sighed heavily. This tea was giving me heartburn. That was odd; it's the same I used at home. I rested my hand on my neck and cringed as I swallowed another mouthful.

"You okay?"

"Heartburn...I've been getting it a lot lately." I shrugged, clearing my throat. "And throwing up...only a few times with that though. I had a really bad nausea episode on I-Island before the shit hit the fan..."

"Hmm, well have there been any changes in your diet or life in general lately?" She took my cup from the table beside me and went to the open kitchen to clean it out and get me water instead.

I tapped my chin, "Nothing really diet wise...I've always eaten as best I can..." I furrowed my brow in thought. What had changed recently? Nothing much besides Toshinori and I trying for a...

My lips parted and I gasped quietly.

"Baby."

"What was that?"

"Toshinori and I have been trying to get pregnant...Could this mean...? I can't already be...we...What!?" I stood up and dashed to get my shoes from the front door.

"Y/n, what?! Where are you going!?" She lunged after me, taking my arm with confusion present on her face.

"To that drugstore, I need to get some pregnancy tests!" I couldn't hold back the excited and hopeful smile on my lips.

Mom let go of my arm, and as fast as I could, I ran to the drugstore and bought two...I had to be sure.

-------

I paced back and forth, back and forth, each of my steps punctuated by the ticking of the clock on the wall. I was lost in my thoughts, hoping for both of the tests to be positive.

"So, you two started trying in the past week? I hate to break it to you, dear, but it takes more than a week to get definite results about this kinda thing." She rested back on the couch, "Unless..."

"Yes, unless I got pregnant before then...I could probably be as far along as two months..." Given each time Toshinori and I were intimate, the most plausible time was about seven weeks ago after the USJ attack. The morning we shared our tender lovemaking...

Mom chuckled, "If they're both positive, I will cry. I've always wanted to be a grandmother."

It was getting later, the sun has gone on the horizon and the stars were hazy beyond the light smog in the city. I went to the window and looked out, wondering if I could spot the raid taking place on the other side of the city. I pressed my hands down flush against the painted windowsill and watched the people walk around stories below in the shopping center, taking a deep breath in through my nose. The past was important, but I had to find out what the next steps looked like...

With that, I turned on my heel while looking at the clock. It has been fifteen minutes, it had to be enough. I found the two tests where I left them, picking them up with squinted eyes. Flipping them over, I found...

Positive...and... "Positive...Mom, both are positive!" I dropped them down on the granite and began to laugh, joy flooding my heart and mind. I jumped in the air and squealed. I'm so excited! I'm gonna be a mother!

"Positive!? Oh, Y/n!" She embraced me, crying happily. "I'm so happy, I'll babysit for you whenever you need me to!"

I took them into my grasp again and tugged away from her for a moment, "I need to find a little box. I want to give them to Toshinori when he comes back!"

"Oh, I have a little necklace box you can use, and some tissue paper somewhere around here." Mom disappeared into her guest bedroom and shuffled around the closet and some drawers, finding the two products for me.

Giving them one last sentimental look, I rested them down in the box after wrapping them up. All the while, I had a large and goofy smile on my face. "Toshinori is gonna be so happy...This will bring up his mood so much after this mission."

I danced around in a dream-like state, visions of the future. filling my mind. My stomach getting bigger until I could feel little kicks, and then holding my baby when they are born, rocking them in my arms to coerce them to sleep. Toshinori singing them a lullaby when they have a nightmare, teaching them how to be kind to others. Being adoring parents to a perfect angel of our own. How I-

I was shaken from my thoughts when a massive explosion across town shook the windows and broke a vase within the apartment. Mom and I each raced to the window and saw smoke and dust rising high into the air.

"Whoa, could that be from the raid?!" She questioned.

Wait, the raid was supposed to be quick and easy, getting Katsuki out, arresting every member of the League of Villains, and seizing the Nomu factory to rescue Ragdoll... This wasn't right! I took the TV remote and turned up the volume, finding that the post-press conference commentary was interrupted by what had occurred.

"Breaking News out of Camino Ward, a giant explosion has flattened part of the city! Helicopters are being deployed now to detect the cause and analyze the exact magnitude of the damage. We will keep updated, so stay tuned."

Some dread in my gut told me what caused it, and my heart sunk deep into my stomach at the realization.

All For One...

I gulped, "Toshi, please be careful..."