Fear Not

I woke up from what was supposed to be an early turn-in night for Toshinori and me to see him pulling his day clothes on frantically. I rubbed my eyes, "Toshi, what's going on?"

"Something happened, and I'm needed at the police station...Tsukauchi said Young Midoriya was held hostage by Tomura Shigaraki while shopping today." He noticeably sweated, looping his belt around his waist.

"Wh-What!? Is he okay?" I threw the tangled blankets off my legs and dashed to the dresser to find my pants.

"Physically, yes...Thank goodness." He shook his head, resting his hand on my shoulder. "I won't be a long time...Please, go back to sleep."

I shook my head, "No, sunflower, let me come with you." I had already finished getting dressed, "I care for that boy as much as you and I won't be able to sleep until I see he's alright." I probably almost started crying.

He sighed, his eyes dropping to the floor for a moment as he contemplated, reaching for his wallet and car keys with one hand and to cup my cheek with the other. "Okay...okay, alright come with me... Don't forget your mask, I don't have enough energy to transform."

I felt a little bad for intruding, but I grabbed my bag and the mask, looping the strings around my ears in record time.

The officer sent for us was quick to deliver us to the town's police station, where I followed right next to my Toshinori and removed the mask.

The young man looked surprised to see us, "All Might?! Mrs. Yagi?! But how?" He walked fasted to us as my husband smiled in contentment.

I released a breath, calming myself at the sight of his health.

Toshi pressed a large palm into the boy's hair, making his face scrunch up. "What a relief...so glad you're okay..."

I pat the side of his face with affection. "We're so happy nothing worse happened..."

"I'm sorry I couldn't be there to protect you and the others..." Toshi trailed off, removing his hand and taking mine, a flash of pink coming to my cheeks at his uncharacteristic public display of affection.

"It's fine..." Izuku had some assurance in his voice, but also contemplation. He furrowed his eyebrows together and peered upwards to his mentor. "H-hey, All Might?"

"Yes, what is it?"

"Do you ever have times...where you can't save all the people that you want to?"

The question seemed to pause time for a second from my point of view. Such a heavy...loaded inquiry. Shigaraki probably planted the seeds of this thought. I saw Toshinori's sunken face change from relief and slight-joy to one of somber and solemn regret.

"Yes, I do...and often." He seemed straightforward.

He carried that shame on his shoulders, sometimes coming to me so I could hold him and let him try to forget the lost souls he had failed to save from terrible villains and the reality of the world in which we live in time. It was something I knew all too well...

Izuku looked shaken for a moment before Toshinori continued, turning his head to the vast cosmos above, leading for my eyes to become affixed to them as well.

"Someone could be injured and calling out for my help anywhere in the world right now and I would never know about it. I know it's frustrating...but we're only human. There are always going to be people beyond our reach that we can't protect." He paused, his intense stare softening, "But, that's all the more reason to stand tall and smile...so that Symbol of Justice is always there...even when I can't be. A flicker in people's hearts, whether they be a hero or a villain."