Nontoxic Optimism

I shivered while the nurse rubbed that cool jelly on my bare stomach.

"It's an honor to meet you, All Might!" She said, grinning from ear to ear while she expertly went through the steps of a standard ultrasound. "Congratulations, as well..."

"O-Oh, thank you!" Toshinori smiled lopsidedly as he took my hand, sitting beside me as I laid on the table-bed.

"So are we going to find out the junior's sex today, or do you want it to be a surprise?" She prepared to place the camera down on my skin.

Toshinori and I looked at each other in the eye. We had discussed this within the previous week, of course following the news Nighteye had delivered to me in his last few breaths. He told us we were having a girl, and we did want that confirmed. The thought was on our minds, weighing heavily. "We want to know..."

"Okay!" She began to go through the procedure, humming a tune softly. I rested my forehead on Toshinori's shoulder, and he pressed a kiss to my cheek, practically shaking with anticipation.

"Well, well, well...The baby is growing just perfectly for this stage. See, those are the little feet, and there's the little head!" She pointed around on the screen for us to see.

"Aw, that's our little one, sunflower..." I swooned.

Toshinori snorted, his small smile growing and his expression softening. "I'm so glad I came here, seeing them really helps set this into reality for me...that I'm going to be a father, finally. It makes me so happy." His crystal blue eyes glittered with joy. It was so relieving to see him brighten up again.

The nurse relocated the tool, "Well, are you ready to hear about the baby's sex?"

"Absolutely," Toshinori breathed out, holding my hand tight.

I nodded, "Yes, please."

A few seconds of silence.

"Looks like you're having a girl...!" She moved it around a little more and looked back and forth between two monitors, "Yeah, that is definitely a girl! I just wanted to make sure!"

"See? I told you Nighteye was right!" I squealed, "I'm...I'm so happy!"

Toshinori probably could have transformed into his hero form, he was so elated. He kissed me lovingly, "A girl! Ah, holy shit, I'm so...excited!"

And, well, he managed to lift me off of my feet when I was standing again. "Whoa! Toshi!"

"I love you and our little daughter so, so much!" He was practically crying.

I hugged him as tight as I could, "I love you both, too, sunflower...please put me down, you're gonna hurt yourself."

Toshinori sat me on my feet, surprising me by dipping me down further and kissing me in a classic, romantic fashion. We were in the middle of the hallway in the doctor's office. I was dazed, but then he lifted me up and laughed much like he did when working as a hero. That beautiful, heartwarming belly-laugh.

"Let's get out of here and get something nice to eat to celebrate." He declared, walking beside me with a secure, comforting grip on my hand.

"Yes, please! She says she wants American food." I looked down at my small baby bump.

"Does she, now? Well, I can't say no to her!" He agreed.

---------

While sitting at home on a Sunday afternoon, I was digging away in family archives I had been given access to thanks to Naomasa. Toshinori had gone full-father mode since we discovered our child was a girl. He asserted that he wanted me to relax, but I insisted I wanted to do some things on my own. Well, today I was tired, and he gladly did some chores for me.

I typed away, trying various names from receipts around the date of my wedding I had photocopied.

I was growing frustrated with this endless pit of digging. Biting my tongue, I looked over my shoulder for my husband. So, I typed in, 'Shimura'.

There it was. Birth records of the Shimura family. I found Nana Shimura, finding that she had a picture, much like a license. Her profile listed her as deceased, and her husband as well, but she did have a few other family members. Below was her son, and below him were two children. One was a girl, Hana Shimura. She was listed as dead and didn't have a profile picture to her name. Neither did her brother, Tenko Shimura. Listed as unknown. This was Shigaraki's old name, stripped away from him by All For One.

Two other things caught my eye, though. There was an empty profile for another child of Nana's. I clicked on it, biting the bullet. This was odd, I was never told that she had more than one child.

'Name: (Unknown) Shimura

Sex: Female

Status: (Unknown)'

Nana had a daughter, as well?

I guess I'd have to continue to dig in the coming down days. For now, I had another meeting with the ever-sinister All For One tomorrow morning.

Time to prepare for that...

(A/N: Here is the playlist for this book!

Walk Me Home by P!NK

Sunflowers by Rex Orange County

Come Come Come by Philip Phillips

Lay It On Me by Vance Joy

Waiting for Superman by Daughtry

Born To Be Yours by Imagine Dragons (ft. Kygo)

Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way by U2 x Cheat Codes

Unconditionally by Katy Perry

Harmony Hall by Vampire Weekend

You and I by Barns Courtney

maybe, i'm afraid by lovelytheband

Peace by O.A.R.

Don't Give Up On Me by Andy Grammer

Boxes by Goo Goo Dolls