Letting Go Is Easy (Hard)

Shigaraki, or should I say, Shimura, looked listlessly down at the family tree of his. "I don't know why...I wasn't able to remember. It's all repressed."

I pat his shoulder, "Do you remember it now? Is it coming back to you?"

He nodded, tilting his head and looking at his long, blue hair. "I never remembered why I was like this...Just that Master came to me and saved me from the hell I was in. I used to have black hair, but the stress of everything made it turn this color... All these hands... they're what's left of my family. All I can particularly remember when I think of life before Master was my father...striking me when he found I knew about his mother..."

Toshinori audibly gasped, turning away and muttering something.

"He hit you?" I asked gently.

He closed his eyes, "Because I wanted to be a hero...and he forbade it. Because 'dreams of heroism only cause hurt'." He looked at his enclosed hands, "I acknowledged a long time ago that I was stuck as I was. A villain to the core of my being...I hate how I feel right now. I..." He chuckled with a bit of biter disposition, "I feel like a scared, broken child again. This time Master isn't coming to save me, and I don't want him to."

"Listen, Tenko...You're safe. No doubt, you're still a criminal, but you're going to be safe and cared for by people who aren't ever going to leave you or lie to you ever again. That's a promise I'll keep until the day I die." I rubbed his hair, watching it fluff back into place. It was damp from the rain.

Tenko glanced around at those present in the room. "Thank you..."

Izuku stepped forward, swallowing hard as he sat across from his newly acquainted cousin. The boy had wonderment in his emerald eyes. "Shig...ah, Tenko...Tenko-san. I...I uh forgive you...It's hard, you scared me, you know...I was afraid of coming across you again in the future. I feared you'd be my enemy until the bitter end, but I'm glad things turned out this way. I'd rather have you as my cousin than my enemy."

Tenko stared back at him, the previous resentment and fury focused on him fading from the carnelian of his eyes. "I'm surprised you of all people would forgive me. Especially after I chocked you out in the mall for information...I'm still torn, you know...but I have a little hope that this is better than that path."

After I left him to finish his questioning, I approached Toshinori. He looked severely distraught. I reached up and grazed the back of my finger against his sunken cheek. "What's bothering you, sunflower?"

"The fact that...My Master's son would...hurt his family like that... I can't help but feel horrified by how she would have reacted to finding her child abusing his children. She'd feel so bad..." He sighed, looking at the young Shimura through the glass. "I feel horrible for that young man...despite all he's done to try and hurt us."

"Me, too..." I grimaced, "I know he's heading off to jail...that he'll need a lot of counseling to become even relatively normal again, but I want to be his new family."

"He's a villain...but he's still Shimura's grandson." Gran Torino chimed in, the same amount of grief weighing heavy on him as well.

Suddenly, Naomasa came storming around the corner. "You are not going to believe what was just found on Dabi, the villain with the patchwork face..."

We perked up with curiosity.

"Do you guys remeber back when Endeavor's oldest child went missing? Well, as it turns out...Dabi's real name is Touya Todoroki. We need to get the family down here quickly." He seemed dazed by the surprise.

"What!?" Toshinori and I said in unison.

My last conversation with Enji Todoroki back at the sports festival ran through my head. How he backed out of the conversation the instant I mentioned Touya. And yet he was here!