The Layered Lies

I looked down at my outfit for the night: an ankle-length flowy gown of my favorite color with platform heels to match. I commented with disdain to Toshinori that I had to get it felt a great deal tighter around my tummy than it did when I first bought it months back. I absolutely hate that my metabolism is slowing and that I'm gaining weight. He told me not to worry about it and even suggested that he could stretch it out by tugging on the fabric, which I found hilarious, as it would damage the outfit.

"...I'm glad I can wear heels with him." I giggled, shrugging my shoulders and taking a long sip of red wine.

"What is that supposed to mean, dear?" Toshinori's smile cocked to the side slightly and he arched an eyebrow.

"Sunflower, I mean you're super tall, so I'm not towering over you with my own height in heels!" I jokingly and extremely daintily punched his elbow.

"It wouldn't matter if you were taller than me!" He insisted.

"Says the seven-foot-four guy!" I narrowed my eyes and snickered.

Dave was laughing at the scene of us, "Oh, you two are just like you were when you first got married." He shook his head, "And they say that the love dies down."

I chuckled deeply, "It sure doesn't."

"I'll be right back, I have to go get something!" Dave waved to us, smiling and walking away.

I abruptly felt a bit woozy, some stars spinning on the edge of my vision, and I leaned my arm on Toshinori for momentary support.

"Hmm? Are you alright? You look like you could be sick!" Toshinori rubbed his hand on my back, his voice filling with concern.

"I'm fine...I just need to go to the bathroom, probably. It might be the wine, but I feel a little sick. I'll be right back..." I disconnected myself from him, and he nodded.

"Well, alright! Let me know if you need anything, dear!" He gave me his signature smile and I blew a kiss while exiting the main center for the gala.

I walked over to the elevators, annoyed to discover the nearest bathroom was a floor above. I left the elevator and found the private room. Why did I feel so queasy? It had to be the nerves from the party, or even that run in with all of those fans earlier today... I covered my mouth and fell on the tiled floor of the bathroom in front of a toilet in a stall, not bothering to close the door behind me. I created a bridge for me to rest my forehead on with my forearm, clenching my hand into a fist as I threw up the contents of my stomach into the bowl. When I was sure I was done, I slowly lifted myself up and flushed the toilet.

I leaned myself over the sink, running cold water into my hand and taking a drink from my hand to rinse the taste of bile away from my lips. I needed something to get rid of this awful taste of stomach acid, and lucky me there was a dispenser by the door that had mints in it. I sighed, elated.

I popped one in my mouth, the sweetly bitter taste overcoming the unpleasant one as it dissolved. Well, at least I can go back to the party without much suspicion from Toshinori or any others.

A loud announcement echoed across the entire floor, no doubt everywhere at once, so I stopped right outside of the bathroom to listen. "This is an announcement from the I-Island Security System. We have received notice that an explosive device was found somewhere on the I-Expo grounds. I-Island will now be in high-alert mode. Your safety is our top priority. Residents and tourists should return to their lodging centers or shelter in place until further notice. Anyone on the street in ten minutes will be in violation of the law. As a precautionary measure, most of the island's main buildings will now be sealed off."