A Conversation Between Old Friends

My deep and intense search into the past of family life of All For One was cut short by a call. I found myself speedily walking through the halls of the ICU in a hospital I was unfamiliar with, my heart racing in my throat as my mind flooded with horror. I even had to cancel an appointment to continue talking with the evil man himself, so my anxiety level was already on high...

"I can't believe I was still on his priority call list after all these years..." My flats made little clicks on the teal tiles of the floor, one hand pressed against my small bump to calm myself.

"He said he wanted to see you first, you were at the top of his list...even above All Might!" Bubble Girl swiped her hands under her eyes, "It's really bad...he was stabbed by a huge spike...I hope he's going to make it."

Bubble Girl and Centipeder paced anxiously when I walked in, and the doctor soon came out of the room with a grim look on his face. "Mrs. Yagi, you may go in. I will let others in when they arrive."

I was surprised Toshinori hadn't shown yet.

With a shaking breath, I entered the recovery room to find Recovery Girl studying the horrible sight before me with despair. The tubes, the mask...I had flashbacks to my poor Toshinori in his hospital bed six years ago, staggering back. My hands flew up to my mouth, and I gasped audibly. "N...N-Nighteye...!"

Sir's injury was gaping. There were tubes hooking every organ and vein to a machine, preserving his life. His eyes moved slowly towards me, his brow furrowing as I drew closer. I didn't know how to respond to what I was looking at...The utter lack of hope I felt overwhelmed me.

"Mrs. Yagi..." His voice was so weak, I could hardly hear it. His heart lurched on the monitor, the bumps in the line so faint...like they could stop at any moment and he would slip away into the great darkness of death. "I didn't expect you to actually arrive first...thank you."

"Nighteye...oh my god..." My eyes were as wide as saucers, lips drew into a shaking cringe across my teeth.

Then I heard voices behind me. Familiar ones that I just wanted to run to.

"Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do. Honestly, it's a miracle he's even still alive now." A nurse said sadly.

Recovery Girl shook her head. "At this point, my powers won't help either..."

When I looked back at Nighteye, tears stung my eyes. "No...I never wanted you...wanted you to..."

"Nighteye!" Toshinori paced up to the bed frame, his comforting hand resting on my shoulder and pulling my body closer as I began to weep.

"All Might...you finally come to see me on my death bed...?" Nighteye mumbled between short intakes of air.

"I don't even know how to reply to that...I've-"

"We have...we did such an awful disservice to you." I managed between sobs.

Toshinori cupped his hand to the side of my head and rubbed my hair softly, kneading it and hugging me through my breakdown.

As Midoriya begged for Nighteye to hold on, he continued to speak, "You both are too humble...All Might especially...it's not like I blame you...Mrs. Yagi, you know..."

I turned my glance to where he lied once again, and listened.

"All I wanted...was for you to be happy. So...even if you both decided to run against fate...I was fine..."

"I want you run against fate, too! Please!" Toshinori pleaded.

"Yes, please...we both did horrible things to you back then...let us make amends with you." I uttered, nodding my head and latching tight to my husband's side.