Something So New

Toshinori sped through traffic like a madman until we arrived at the hospital.

The doctor rushed me into delivery, as I was apparently an abnormality. Instead of hours spanning into the double digits, my baby daughter needed to be delivered as soon as possible and wasn't taking any consideration for an epidural or any kind of pain medication.

I was loopy with the pain wracking my body for the duration of the delivery.

"Congratulations, All Might, and Mrs. Yagi!" A nurse bellowed at us.

"A-Ah, thank you!" He beamed back, nervousness and shakiness in his voice.

Through my seething agony, I noticed how he felt. He was horrified to see me like this. He knows I've seen him in a similar state, but I couldn't focus on it for too long when another horribly long and tense contraction made me groan loudly.

I tried to keep thinking happy thoughts, gripping tight to my sunflower's hand with every step of the process. Keep...breathing...strong!

But as quickly as it started, it felt like the pain faded away and I heard it. The sweet crying. That sound I had been waiting nine months to hear.

They quickly cleaned her up and handed her to me, her soft whimpering dwindling when she laid on my chest.

My husband inched close to me, his hands aching from how hard I squeezed them, no doubt.

Speechless. That was what I was. We both were.

I was dizzy with euphoria, tears not of pain but of joy pouring down my face. "Hi..." was all I could manage.

"She's... so perfect..." Toshinori whispered, choking on his own voice. He frantically wiped at his eyes.

"She looks so much like you..." My voice was strained from how hard I had yelled. "Her hair...those little eyes."

Our daughter had a tuft of golden blonde hair and the biggest oceans of crystalline blue, peering up at us with as much curiosity a newborn could have.

Toshinori grazed one of his long and slender fingers over her cheek, "She's so fragile and innocent...My girl, my daughter...Y/n, you're the strongest woman I know... You put up with everything I've put you through and you gave us this perfect angel."

I was flattered. I only had put up through every wave of shit because I loved him. I smiled at him, cradling my baby in my arms. "I did it because I love you..."

"I love you, too...So much. I love my family!" He kissed my cheek, tears on his sunken cheeks.

"I think she's the strong one..." I rested my head on his shoulder so we could both hold her. "She withstood the stress I felt. She's a warrior, and I think she gets it from you and I both. Her fighting spirit will come from you and her ability to withstand it will come from me."

"I can second that. She's going to be amazing...her life is precious. She doesn't have to be amazing, she's already amazing...she was born, after all." Toshi gave a gentle and delicate kiss to her tiny forehead, and she made a little noise.

I cooed. My precious family.

---------

I woke up from a deep sleep, the lights in the room dim.

I was on my side and I opened my eyes barely and saw Toshinori holding our child with care. He beamed down at her with adoration and undying love.

"...and I'll always protect you. You've got a wonderful family that will make sure you're always safe. I can't wait to see you smile...I hope your smile looks like your mother's...She's so beautiful, isn't she? You'll look like her when you grow up, but don't rush it..."

"I don't think she will..." I hummed, yawning. "You're so cute."

Toshinori blushed. "She's falling asleep. I've been singing to her and walking around with her."

I sat up slowly, wincing from the stitches in my...uh, yeah. This is uncomfortable. Thank god for witch hazel. "You're such an amazing father. You're so cut out for this..."

"You know?" He put her down in her bassinet. "I think I am." He took his seat beside me and laughed. "Well, while you were out I was trying to think of a name for her. I can't...think of anything."

An idea came to mind. Our conversation from when she was born hours ago. She was going to be strong just like the two of us. "I think we should name her after someone else we know of who was very strong... Nanato... The 'To' at the end for the beginning of your name."

Toshinori's lips parted, and he looked over his shoulder. "Nanato...I...I really like that name. Nanato Yagi."

"It sound's beautiful."

"Yeah! Nanato..."

"Nanato, our little flower..." I leaned in and kissed him.

We had a wonderful new chapter in our lives. All of the past year melted away before my eyes and I only had light and warmth to look forward to. Just love.

Just calm.