"Why Are You Smiling?"

My hands slammed against the doors, pushing them open with force before rushing into the room, familiar and unknown eyes landing on me. The room fell silent as I made eye contact with a couple and a girl together in the corner, they were Grayson's parents and sister, Cameron. Cameron and her mom huddled together, their eyes bloodshot red as they were suffocated by huge black circles on their pale faces. Grayson's father stood beside them, his eyes widening once he saw me, as if he hadn't seen me for years.

"Y/n!" I heard a yell, my head shooting towards James as he ran over towards me and brought me into a hug. It was just like yesterday, going to hospital, watching people cry about their loved ones, not knowing at all what was going on.

"Where is Ethan?" I asked after breaking the hug, scanning the environment to find the well known face.

"He's with Gray at the moment."

I sighed before looking straight at James. "So what's happened?"

"Well." James muttered, as we both took a seat near the front door. "Before you arrived, Grayson's parents came and were able to visit him. Since then, they have been sitting here for about five hours."

"You're telling me that the accident happened five hours ago?" I asked in shock, feeling a wave of guilt hit me due to not answering the calls. "I'm really sorry that I didn't answer, I was busy and-"

"Don't apologise to me." He muttered, taking me back slightly. James eyes began to tear up before speaking again. "I didn't expect anything like this to happen, I mean one moment we were talking and then the next he was throwing everything across the room and punching the walls."

My eyes widened. "How!? What were you guys talking about?"

James was silent once again, staring at the floor as if he was nervous to answer. "I really don't think he would want you to-"

"James!" I snapped, causing him to slightly jump as his eyes immediately met mine. "Fucking tell me or I swear to god I will stomp into that fucking hospital room and get answers! No one is telling me what's going on, like why was he in the accident? Why did he have an anxiety attack! James, how can I help in any way if I don't know?"

"I promised Grayson that I wouldn't say anything, it's up to him whether to tell you or not." He muttered before I leant back against the chair, trying to remove the anger that boiled inside of me.

Before I could say anything else, my mind focused on the three strangers who suddenly appeared in front of me and James, all of them attempting to smile. "Are you y/n l/n?" The father asked, a small shiver creeping up my spine.

I stood up slowly before shaking his hand, sending him a small smile. "Yes, that is me."

"I'm Sean, Grayson's father, and this is my wife Lisa and my daughter Cameron." I looked over at the other two, waving and saying "hello", briefly introducing myself to them.

"How are you feeling?" I asked them, immediately realising that I just asked the most stupid question ever.

"Not great, but better after knowing that Grayson will be ok. How long have you known the twins for?" Lisa asked as Cameron went over to talk to James.

"Almost half a year now, not that long but I already feel as if they are family."

Sean and Lisa both looked over at each other, their smiles widening before turning back to me. "We're glad to hear that Grayson has a girl like you in his life, y/n." Lisa stated, melting my heart within seconds. "He has mentioned you a few times and from what we've heard and seen, you are a very lovely girl."

Wait! He talks about me?!

"T-thank you very much, I am happy to call him one of my closest friends, I mean he is one of the sweetest guys I have ever met."

Suddenly, everything just stopped. All the chattering noises in the background, the movement of doctors and nurses rushing around the building, even the noisy clock that was constantly ticking. I felt as if I was on cloud nine as Ethan and I made eye contact across the waiting room, a huge smile plastered on his adorable, childlike face. Although we were all in the hospital, waiting for Gray, I couldn't help but smile as well before excusing myself from the Dolans and rushing over towards him.

"Why are you smiling?" I asked Ethan, tilting my head slightly as he giggled.

"Well Gray is fine thankfully, I get to see my family after a long time and..." He trailed off, a hint of pink appearing on his cheeks.

"And...?"

"I asked Emma out today and she said yes!" He yelled as if he was a little kid receiving a toy on Christmas Day. Everyone's attention immediately landed on us, but I didn't care due to how shocked and happy I was for my best friend.

"What?! How?!"

"We were just talking and I confessed."

"Now we don't have to make her jealous." I stated.

"Well that plan kinda flopped." Ethan muttered.

"Oh well, at least you got there in the end. I'm so happy for you guys." I quickly hugged the boy, my cheeks burning due to how much I was smiling. To be completely honest, I forgot that we were in a hospital at this point, until Ethan spoke again.

"You should probably go see him now, we've all had our turn already."

"He's probably sick from the amount of visitors he has."

Ethan chuckled whilst shaking his head. "Being the baby that he is, he doesn't like being alone. He loves company."

I giggled before walking past him, heading towards Grayson's hospital room that I was so familiar with. As I walked up the stairs, down the corridors and past staff and patients, I noticed that everyone was so happy, laughing and smiling at others, even patients who were really sick. I peered into one of the rooms as I walked past, noticing a little girl in her bed, listening to (who I assumed was) her mother read her a book, tucked away under the turquoise sheets as if she was about to sleep peacefully.

Then the image of Grayson smiling came into my head, the best smile I have ever seen, the smile that outshines them all. He really did suit them, and when one would creep onto his face, he would light up the whole room within seconds, and I couldn't wait to see it soon.

Shit ending ew

Next chapter is just about y/n and Gray with lots and lots of tea spilled 🍵😏