Ambush

At dusk Joan and Elaine left the corvet corps ,the journey was silent with no discussion not even there footfalls could be heard lost in there own minds and subconsciously keying to the trained fighters they were, moving stealthy and dangerously quite as they made their way towards where the rest of the imperial knights camped .

"Elaine" Joan finally spoke breaking the silence her voice unnaturally soft.

"yes?" Elaine answered a little put off at her tone of voice.

"i know what your thinking" she said turning to her with pleading eyes Elaine cringed Joan begging you twice between a short period of time was surprising, and she did not like this side of her one bit she wanted the Joan who was in control of everything and knew what she was doing, the way she was looking at her now made her realize the weight of her task she look at the now blank yet serious looking face of the general the only person she could consider a friend and even though she acted tough and unreachable she knew she was
broken and her heart ached for her knowing what was happening knowing what she had done and not being able to help , she opened her mouth to speak but Joan cut her off .

" you promised to keep that secret to your grave ,or at least my grave which ever comes first " Joan murmured not looking at her moving ahead .

"i know but what if they could help , Charles deserves to know what you've done " Elaine whispered .

"NO!"she said shaking her head turning to stare her in the eyes "they could not help me then, they cannot help me now " she argued " no one can help me now whats done is done ,nobody needs to know" she said shaking her head as if to get rid of a memory her voice breaking " no one can stop it ,no one ,don't you think I've tried ,no one can help me I've already made my choice" Joan sat on the ground like the little child she was hugging her knees " please Elaine you promised, please Elaine please " she begged and for the fist time Elaine felt it the fluctuation in energy she looked at Joan and saw what she really was a 17 year old girl lost not knowing where she stood and with the whole world on her shoulder ,fighting for her sanity , she watched Joan hug herself on the ground trying to keep the chaos at bay most people didn't know like her how much it hurt how much it drained her to fight.

"Till my grave or yours , i will keep your secret " Elaine said and Joan immediately calmed down.

~~~~~

Charles walked in long strides through the halls of the Larkovian palace chaos was brewing and chaos made him think of her and how she was doing , no one really knew like he did her every expression , she was broken she had given up she felt like a burden off some sort, and he knew most of all that she was scared , what she was scared of he didn't really know ,but right now that wasn't his problem the undines have been corrupted and needed to be stopped he hoped Valeriana made it here quickly or they where doomed.

~~~~~

After Joan was sure she was calm as she could possiby get in that moment they continued their journey,Joan energy still came out in short angry bursts , truth be told Joan was losing herself to the chaos day by day and she knew it , years of suppressing it and now it was hitting with full force and Joan feared she would hurt the people she cared about because of what she had done because of her weakness ,but hopefully it would not have to come to that .

"just in time ,we were just about to go searching for you" Sakai spoke as soon as she watched Joan walk in her gaze shifting to Elaine,her eyes widening a bit in alarm" who is she?" she questioned her grip on her whip tightening.

"everyone this is Elaine and she will be joining us on our journey ,introductions can go on without me " she spoke waving her hand dismissively before she slumped Elaine catching her before she reached the ground.