• Chapter XXIII

Observers agree on causality, yet not

on event sequence. 

For Victoria's surprise, she found herself in the company of Severus Snape

Not surprised in the way where he appeared out of nowhere next to her. Rather in way of having him not expected his presence as it got some way that there started to build a distance between those two. Not with intention of the girl, as Severus was after all her best friend, just like the first person who befriended with her in general. While she had met Lily simultaneously to Severus, it hadn't been the muggleborn she befriended with first. At the beginning it was hard for her to communicate with Lily as the redhead back then, barely knew anything about magic and the blond knew nothing about the muggle world. The blond was so ashamed that she rather kept a specific distance towards the girl, rather than confronting that fact. Someway she befriended with Severus Snape, the boy who seemed to lie down his grumpy nature when the blond was around, becoming oh so infatuated with her, yet for her in the unknown.

But that didn't stop the space between them to grow, as, over years, people change. And while Severus changed, and even Lily was one to notice herself and for that, got more distant with the boy, Victoria was one who would hold onto what it had been in the beginning - over time has built a wall around the idea of the young boy, who took his time to understand the girl, the first one who she called her friend, not the one spending the majority of his time with people like Avery and thoughts about the dark arts   

As proven in the presence, Victoria made other friends, despite different circumcises at the beginning, one of her closest became Lily, just like people like Chris, Peter, Remus, and her dormmates. Still, that didn't change the position Severus held in her life.

The fact of the boy being a Slytherin or even a half-blood wasn't considered a problem for Victoria, not even when her family took notice of their friendship. Somehow, while she had just like she still does, obeyed whatever said, her friendship towards Severus had been one to defend, and her going through any other consequences that this friendship brought, as she thought that for her, it was worth it.

So when, after what had seemed for her like years when it had only been weeks or even days, she couldn't help the bright smile that made its way up on her face, receiving one in return.

The boy himself had no intention in getting the distance between him and the girl of his attention any bigger. But as their time together got less and less, it had been her, always in the company of either one of her other friends or Ethan. Neither one was liked by Severus, as the feeling was mutual, yet as he from time to time found himself not just in her company but also Cayden. He knew how important Cayden was to Victoria, so when he had to be nice to the boy, he was faking a smile as best as he could.

"Hello, Sev! ," she exclaimed, her voice coming out with a little break in the hello as she fought with getting her trunk towards the carriages.

The term of the school year started to come to an end, as it had been now that people who would travel home for the Easter holidays, would now make their way towards the carriages. Not like in the winter holidays, Victoria found herself among those who wouldn't stay in the castle. Her family itself had the youngest Atkinson siblings come home for the holidays.