• Chapter XXXVII

I don't know what they are called, the spaces between seconds– but I think of you always in those intervals.

Salvador Plascencia, The People of Paper

Remus Lupin wouldn't call himself brave.

He would call himself clumsy, nerdy, lacking any fashional sense, and too sarcastic in some of the worst situations in which you could be sarcastic. On especially cocky days he would call himself smart, but at the end of the day if he would have to describe him as something he would rather use every word in every language than brave.

He chooses to stay at the sideline when his friends lived out what others titled 'Gryfindor bravery'; he preferred to stay the mind of their operations. Of course, if it was up to his friends to titel his behavior, they would call him brave from the minute he opens his eyes every morning, just because you don't always need to be reckless to be brave.

But the thing was, he never needed to be brave. He didn't have to tell his friends that he was a werewolf, they eventually found out themselves, he never needed to speak his mind, most of his thoughts were common, and if not, his friends were quick to defend him. He wasn't brave when turning on full-moon, it wasn't something he chooses to do. The one time he considered himself brave was on their first day at Hogwarts, because he really dared to take up Dumbledores offer, to still attend, even with a curse laying heavy on his shoulders.

But now, when non of his friend could take the burden from him and no curse could force him, Remus was forced to be brave.

Even when a part of him dared to titel it as bravery, most of him still was aware that it was just common sense. Everyone would apologize, even his best friend, who he learned had even apologized before him when doing something wrong.

"You are just as bad as he is! Just because you're not the one aiming the wand, doesn't mean you're righteous. Smiling innocently, while planning everything, looking away each time your friends do such horrible things. You're not better than they are or as he is!"

Even after Victoria had said to him that she wasn't angry at him for what he did, but rather how he handled afterward, he still couldn't shake off the anger she had burned upon him then.

"You don't need to confess your feelings to her, but at least apologize - just talk to her again."

"You know, you can be just as normal around her with her knowing it. Or at least knowing how you feel."

Like a prayer, he repeated those exact two sentences over and over, as if hidden thoughts, or mumbled words, would let him become brave - they didn't. Still, whenever he even crossed air near the green of her eyes, who seemed to feel whenever he thought of them.. longs legs had an advantage, and one was certainly to run away from the overwhelming feelings Lily Evans always caused for him.