• Chapter XXXIX

People are rivers, always ready to move from one state of being into another. It is not fair, to treat people as if they are finished beings. Everyone is always becoming and unbecoming.

— Kathleen Winter

Snow that invaded the Scottish air for a while now, had left the Hogwarts grounds painted in a beautiful white, as this season not only brought infamous cold winds but the white decoration that gave you more feeling for Christmas than any tree or ...

Snow that invaded the Scottish air for a while now, had left the Hogwarts grounds painted in a beautiful white, as this season not only brought infamous cold winds but the white decoration that gave you more feeling for Christmas than any tree or fairy lights could ever.

While Victoria usually dreads that time of the year, when it became impossible to breathe through her nose or enjoy the slightest bit of time outside, she despite it even more now. Formerly, she found joy in the time she was able to return home, back to Cayden. But even when he was around through the whole winter, she found Christmas time this particular year even more dreadful.

Any sight of Christmas seemed to have left her fellow students' eyes. Now, dates and gowns were everything that filled the blond's ear. It wasn't like she didn't understand it. The yule ball gave them the possible only opportunity to ever experience such events. To dance with your loved ones, wear beautiful suits and dresses, and dine as if you were the finest of the finest. For most, it would be the first, and possibly last opportunity to even attend a ball.

But Victoria attended them. She attended endless, and would do so till her heart would live its last heartbeat. In her eyes, they were an extravagant way of displaying how much beauty, money, or power you possessed. Maybe that's why she despite them. Or because she was still aware that this was a distraction. Nonetheless, she didn't found herself in the same joyful spirit her friends were in - but did she ever?

She almost hated the bit of information her grandparents had given her. She didn't need to know what war was lurking on their front porch, peaking down at every bright moment they could have had. She wanted to be like Marlene and Mary, spending weeks in advance, just to pick the right color of lipstick. She wanted to be like Chris and Dorcas, wondering what music would they be able to dance to, or what food they'd be able to eat. The glimmer in Lily's eyes, the excitement in Peter's words, the nervousness in Remus' voice - Victoria wanted that!

The blond thought that she sounded like a spoilt brat, wanting this and that. But at that moment she didn't care, because she almost got it. She hated the balls she was used to attending, but this one - she would spend time with her friends, enjoy an evening with good music, joyful talk. It wasn't about blood purity, wizarding hierarchy. When looked at it from a certain perspective, it wasn't even about magic.

But whoever said, you can't fake what you desire, had never met the girl.

She was smiling just as bright and talked just as excited.