• Chapter XXVII

Falling down is the easiest thing in the world. After the first few times, it barely hurts at all. No, the hard part is always, always, always to start again.

featuring

Just because a decision hurts, doesn't mean it was the wrong decision.

Victoria hadn't distant herself. They couldn't call it that, as the girl was still physically present. No, but she wasn't their Victoria in that time.

She still smiled, the usual brightness yet missing from it. Her laughter was still being heard, but - it wasn't how she would be in any normal state. Her best friends knew that, their worry growing with every faked smile. But what could they do when it was that girl who had always mastered in making everything appear perfect and all right. 

It was hard for her, especially now. Unlived feelings made every ritual more persistent, taking up way to much energy from her - the more she tried on just doing it right.    O.W.L's took up a whole new role in that, the lack of sleep just adding to everything. It hadn't mattered that she had learned way too much over the whole year. O.W.L's were her priority at that moment, feelings could come after that. Like most students, she spent that time learning and more learning. Way more than the usual enormous amount she had on her plate. Along with the quidditch practice for their upcoming last game and the prefect duties, the stress on her face seemed to be more visible than ever.

But as that time continued, it wasn't the girl on the focus.

defense against the dark arts — ordinary wizarding level

The words were clearly visible in front of everyone in the great hall.

"Five more minutes! , "the voice of Professor Flitwick was heard around the hall, the half-goblin wandering around the hall, inspecting each student with a particular stern gaze. James yawned hugely and rumpled up his hair, making it even messier than it had been. Then, with a glance toward professor Flitwick, he turned in his seat and grinned at a boy sitting four seats behind him, Sirius returning the natural forming grin with the same aura of mischief surrounding him. Each one of them turned back to their paper for a final look, where it was more James redrawing over a line of the snitch he drew with the letters   V.A.   written neatly in the middle of it, silly drawn hearts surrounding it in the most cliche way. 

"Quills down, please!" squeaked Professor Flitwick. "That means you too, McKinnon! Please remain seated while I collect your parchment! Accio!" More than a hundred rolls of parchment zoomed into the air and into Professor Flitwick's outstretched arms, knocking him backward off his feet. Several people laughed as a couple of students, alongside Victoria, at the frontdesks got up, took hold of Professor Flitwick beneath the elbows, and lifted him onto his feet again.