• Chapter XL

His heart was full of hungry dead ghosts

from a forgotten island.

13-year-old Victoria probably would have never listened to any advice, or for that matter, anything James Potter ever said to her, but 13-year-old Victoria would have never dared to  say Sirius Black

The forbidden forest wasn't forbidden for a reason. Even if there were enough times in which she was cursing herself when she would just blindly follow orders, following rules wasn't all that bad. After all, there was a reason why Dumbledore even declared the forest forbidden. The scars on her body should have been a reminder enough. Nonetheless, with heavy feet and shaking limbs, the girl was just enough in fear to forget about what would happen if any of her family members would see her like this.

But just when she was about to give up, run back to the castle to curse James Potter, or rather herself for the useless danger she put herself in, she caught glimpse of what was the mare reason for her way there.

Victoria never questioned the attraction the female population of Hogwarts held. She may be even understood them a little too much shortly in third year when she, like so many others, found herself giggling about the boy with grey eyes that shone brighter than the star he was named after. And then, when they shone oh so poetically in the light of the moon, that envied the love the stars offered him, she understood little Victoria a little better. The sleeves of his untucked button-up rolled up, Sirius Black, in all his mighty, allowed the stars to gaze at him as he sat there, his eyes moving to one object in the sky to another. The hair, as wild as ever, stayed as still as the boy, shining in that mysterious darkness the night turned it into.

He looked so calm. So different to that mischievous smile hidden in between corners, that wild laughter in the hallways. No then, he almost looked sad, calm - a little bit too lonely to be the Sirius Orion Black.

And that's why her mind was filled with as many thoughts as trees were filled with leaves in winter.

"Hey." He jumped, and even when she hoped he didn't notice, he surely noticed her flinching and forgot that his actions could have been way too sudden.

For a moment he just looked at the girl, whose arms were slung around her, almost as if to shield her from him. And then the frustration, anger, whatever returned and he glared that pureblood glare he received so often by his parents and, unknowingly, mastered himself.

"Sirius, I-," and before she knew it, he took off even deeper into the forest. And before he knew it, she took after him.

"Go away Victoria. ," he pressed out from between gritted teeth, knowing that running away surely wasn't a solution for long. He smoked, and she jogged every freaking morning.

"Sirius, please-", the branched cut into the fabric of her cloth as she hurried through bushes and trees. "Sirius, would you please sto-" He still kept walking even when she saw his button-up cut open.