Chapter One

The night was warm and silent as always in my street, Maltan street. It was another Sunday night. One could easily know that there was no light in the houses here, since everywhere had a total black out. Well, everywhere except our house; the Teniola family house.

Our house was fully lighted as everyone went about their daily activities. Our house has two sitting rooms. One is mostly used to accommodate visitors and the other which is the second sitting room is the family sitting room.

Mum was in the second sitting room with Dad. She was seated on the green Sofa discussing with Dad, who was eating Fruit Salad and watching Television. He was busy with news, like all typical Nigerian fathers do in the evening after work while I was seated in the dining room eating Rice. The way our house was built, the dining room could be seen from the sitting room and vice versa so I could hear what Mum and Dad were saying.

"So, she's going to be with us tomorrow at Empires?" Mum said to Dad, who was engrossed in the news.

Munching his fruit salad while focusing his eyes on the TV, he replied. "Yes. Dr. Makinde; the founder of Empires said he would like to discuss with her before she's shown her new class."

"That would be nice." Mum said as she stood up from the Sofa and headed to the Kitchen to check if the Cake in the Oven was ready.

Here in my house, there is no specific meal for us. My parents take fruit salad every night while we, the kids eat any food we lay our hands upon. Mum sometimes make snack for everyone. Today, she's made Cake.

I finished my food and walked to the Kitchen to drop my plate on the sink. Then I walked to my room and closed my door behind me as I entered. I laid on my bed with my earpiece in my ears and my phone in my hands, moving my body to the rhythm of the song I was listening to. I had my whole focus on the phone as I chatted with one of my childhood friends.

Me: Guess what, Lily.

Not up to a minute, my phone beeped and I checked to see the message I just received.

Lily: What's that?

Me: I told you to guess nah. Just try.

Lily: Okay. You're going to meet your Aunt in Ukraine?

Me: Ukraine ko, rain forest ni. Anyway, promise me you won't scream if I tell you?

Lily: I promise. Oya, tell me laidat.

Me: I'll be resuming to Empires College tomorrow.

Lily: You're joking right?

Me: Shey I've made this kind of joke with you before ni? Abeg, I'm serious jor.

Almost immediately, she sent me a voice note and after it loaded, I played it. She didn't say anything in it. Rather, she screamed joyously. I quickly removed my earpiece from my ears so that her scream wouldn't damage my ears for me. I laughed at how happy she was and dropped my Phone on the bed. I sat on the table and started arranging the things I would take to school the next day. I couldn't but imagine how my first day in a new school was going to be.

The girl I texted is Lilian Moris, but I prefer calling her Lily. She is the only friend I have who attends The Empires College. Little wonder as to why she screamed that way when I told her i'd be coming to Empires tomorrow. She's my childhood friend from my primary school. After Primary school, we parted ways. When I was in S.S.S. 1, I was able to get her phone number and since then we've been closer than ever. She was really anxious to see me and I was super excited to meet my long seen friend.