Chapter Two

"Never let a dream go cold,
Even when you're losing hope."
- Magical Thinker (You know it's about you).

• • •

"Sit with the senior girl." The man said, pointing at a girl on one of the front seats and I walked up to her. The girl shifted on her seat for me and I sat with her and placed my school bag beside me on the floor. When I sat down, the man left the class.

"Hi." I whispered to her. The lady teaching was still in front of the class so I didn't want her to know we were discussing.

"Hi. How're you?" The girl replied.

"I'm fine. What's your name?" I said. I turned her note to the front cover to check her name on it before she even answered me.

"I'm Oluwajetemi, the senior girl." She replied without looking at me. Her eyes were focused on the teacher in front of the class.

"Awwn! I love your name sha." I cooed as she mentioned her name and she smiled to me. I couldn't help but notice how neatly her hair was plaited. Her black hair really befitted a slightly fair skinned girl like her. When I was done checking her hair out, I turned to face the teacher teaching. She was teaching Biology. Not long after, Mr. Makinde walked into the class. The Biology teacher stepped aside for him to talk.

"All stand, greet!" Jetemi said and the classroom immediately turned noisy from the moving of tables and chairs as everyone of us stood up.

"Good morning sir." We all chorused.

"Good morning, my children. Have your seats." Mr. Makinde said and everyone sat down. When we were all seated, he turned to me and said. "My daughter." He motioned for me to join him in front of the class.

I stood up and walked to the front of the class to meet him. He placed his left arm on my shoulder as we both faced the class.

"Do you know why she's here?" He said, directing the question to the students. When he said that, I got scared.

Is he about to tell them I failed Chemistry in my final exams?, I thought.

"She is a very brilliant girl but she came here because she wants to have The Empires' final year result." He said, patting my back. I smiled a bit to show my relief.

Awwn! I love this man sha, I thought.

Still addressing the class, he asked. "Have you welcomed her?" I was about telling him they've welcomed me when they all started singing.

"You are welcome in the name of the Lord,
You are welcome in the name of the Lord,
We can see all over you, the glory of the Lord,
You are welcome in the name of the Lord."

I smiled and said a faint thank you though I knew they couldn't hear me. I heard a faint voice say my name and I looked in the direction it came from. A girl sitting beside the window smiled to me. Lilian must have told them about me.

"Do you know her name?" Mr. Makinde said to the students.

"Yes! Demilade!" A boy shouted from the back of the class.

Everybody laughed and said "Ah! Dami!"

When he was done, Proprietor told me to have my seat and he walked out. I went back to Jetemi and sat with her. As I sat down, the lady continued her class. After about thirty more minutes, she left the class.

Immediately she walked out, a man who looked like he was in his late fifties walked into the class with a note in one hand and a cane in the other hand. We all stood up to greet him. As soon as we were done greeting him, we sat down and he started teaching. He was the Civic Education teacher.