Chapter Five

"To be human is to love.
Even when it gets too much,
I'm not ready to give up."
- Sia (To Be Human).

• • •

The day before, Jetemi, Lydia, Emmanuel and Fiyin went to represent the school in a competition. Demmie was supposed to join them but he didn't come. God knows, that guy is really lazy.

I cried while they were away also. It wasn't because I missed them but because when I was in my former school, I used to be one of those who represented the school in my class in any competition whatsoever. I felt inferior when I saw them leaving for the competition. It made me feel somehow for my classmates to be going for a competition and I shouldn't be part of them, which reminded me that I was repeating a class. Well, let's just thank God for life.

The school was really interesting though. Glory, Rachel, Sarah and I made some videos all around the street when we had our break. It was really fun. I had enough time to talk to Rachel heart to heart about myself. Apart from Lilian, she was the only one I told about me repeating S.S.S. 3. I told her how I felt about everything and how I feel bad sometimes.

Some days back, one of my friends called to share a good news of theirs with me and I burst into tears on the phone. Not like I wasn't happy with her but I felt really bad whenever any of them tells me they've been admitted to the university of their choice. I told Rachel everything. I also let her know how it wouldn't be so easy for me to let go of Demmie. We had a long talk as we walked outside the school together.

Here we are again. Back to school, back to a stress-filled Monday. I got better over the Demmie-Lydia issue. Well, speaking of Demmie, we hadn't said a word to each other except when he asked if I take Economics.

Like we even talk before sef, I thought.

I overheard him saying he was sick during the midterm and that was why he didn't come for the lesson and the competition he was supposed to go. I silently hoped he got better already.

As I walked to the Science Lab, some students were already seated. I got here earlier but left my writing materials in class. So I rushed back to class and came back. God actually loves me because just as I stepped into the Lab, someone was about carrying my lab stool. Holding the other side of the stool, I said. "Can't you see someone is here?"

He faced me and smirked. "Of course not, I didn't see anyone here." Demmie replied staring at me. His eyes were kind of red.

"Just drop it." I said. He smirked again and dropped the stool as he walked off to where the guys were seated.

My fourth week in Empires was getting over and the result of some of our tests were dispersed to us. I had ninety percent in Physics and the teacher was really surprised. I had a perfect score in my Chemistry, sixty five percent in Biology, ninety seven percent in Maths and ninety percent in English. Funny enough, I was the only one who had a perfect score in Garment Making and that was the first time I'd be offering it in my life. 

I've gotten on the good side of the guys. We talk often and I've gotten free with them. Though things are going on well, I still fought my inner mind by trying to get over a particular someone who didn't even know I had feelings for him. Mum had always told me to fight for whatever I love and never to give up but I guess it just wouldn't work out for that kind of thing. That kind of situation happened in my former school, where my bestie liked the same guy I liked and he liked her back.

My mind drifted to Lydia as I rolled to the other side of my bed. Her first crush and only crush is Demmie. I knew how it was for someone from nowhere to get in between and claim Demmie. I couldn't let Lydia feel the pains I went through in the past. I really liked her than all that. In fact we call each other twin sisters, with a lot in common.

I'm a motivational speaker in making and I have a thing for giving advice to people. That was it and my final decision, though it wouldn't be easy, I had to let go of Demmie.

This is for you Lydia. This is for you, twin sis. I thought.

As I made the decision, I thought about what happened earlier today in school. In the morning as Demmie entered, Lydia and I were talking. Lydia greeted him and he answered. I also greeted him but he walked pass me without a word. I was kind of pained but I just let it go.

Later on, we had to excuse the class for the Food and Nutrition students which included Lydia. We stayed in the Library with the guys. They were talking about Universities and courses they'd like to study. I got to know Fiyin and I aspired for the same University and course. Then, we talked about hometowns. I told everyone I'm from Ibadan, they said Rachel also. Demmie who was reading a textbook before joined in the conversation and tried to convince me that he's also from Ibadan. The guys kept saying he was lying though. It was damn funny.

When going to the hall in the afternoon also, I mistakenly hit my chair on Demmie's leg. I didn't know he was coming opposite me. I apologized immediately but I guess he didn't hear me because he tried to make me say sorry again, which I didn't say. When we were returning to class, the same thing happened but this time, I really refused to apologize. So when I went back to the hall to help Lydia to take her chair, he tried to revenge by hitting my head slightly through the window when I was on my way into the class. Unluckily for him, I got to know because Dami had done it for me once. I couldn't fall for that trap again. I didn't move near the window so his hands didn't reach me. As I entered, I smiled because his plan didn't work out. He laughed back and said "I know you caught me." I simply smiled and walked back to my seat.

Thinking of all these, I didn't know when I started smiling on my bed. I brought out my phone and logged in on Facebook. I saw a notification that read Demmie accepted my friend request two days ago. I checked my messages and he happened to be online. I sent him a message and we chatted for the first time.

___

I hope this chapter is not too boring to you? Thanks a lot for reading, I'll be sure to make the next chapter more interesting💜

You guys mean a lot to me, and I love y'all. Thanks for the 47 reads and 42 votes. It means a lot to me. We're getting somewhere. Yay!🙌

Don't forget to vote, comment your ideas and share! In the comment section, can you just happily tag everyone on your wattpad list to check out this book and vote? Thanks in advance, sweethearts💜

Love from your little girl, Tao.