Chapter Thirty Three

"And I don't care if I sing off key,
I found myself in my melodies.
I sing for love, I sing for me.
I shout it out like a bird set free."
- Sia.
_________
Your comments keep me going🥺❤️ They're always hilarious and inspiring, making me want to update quickly🤧 Thank you so much, everyone 🥺❤️
By the way, this chapter should tell more about what happened in Great Expectations after Demilade walked out of the class. Thank you for pointing that out❤️ I was going to write it before sha oh, but y'all were too anxious😹🚶🏻‍♀️
_________

"So, nobody wants to give an explanation for what happened?" The principal said once again.

"We're sorry, sir." Lydia and I chorused again. We've been saying the same thing for the past two minutes.

"Adekunle?" Principal called Demmie, who hadn't said a word since.

"Well-done, sir." He said.

"I don't need your greetings. What happened?"

"Actually, the spelling bee coach pronounced a word wrongly for us, so we had to complain and we were disqualified." He said.

"I was told if you hadn't complained, just one of you would have been disqualified and not all of you." The principal said again.

"That's why we're sorry sir. We didn't think it through." Demmie said again.

The principal looked at us one after the other and shook his head. "I don't know what to do with you people yet. Just go to your classes, freshen up and prepare for your upcoming exams." He said.

"We're free to go?" Lydia asked, obviously surprised we weren't punished.

"Do you want me to punish you? You can stay and let me punish you." The principal said to us.

"Ah, no sir. Thank you sir." We chorused and rushed out of his office. As soon as we got out, Lydia and I screamed and hugged each other.

"You people should better stop your noise before they call us back in and punish us." Demmie said.

"Eiiish! He already released us, he can't punish us again." Lydia said as we released each other from the hug. Then, she faced Demmie. "Demmie! Thank you so much for supporting us inside. Omo, I was scared to death."

"Only words? Ain't you supposed to give me something, like maybe treat me to some snacks or so to–"

"You'll give me the money abi?  If you can, then no problem." Lydia said and faced me. "Let's go jare."

"Heys! You won't say thank you too abi? " Demmie called, referring to me.

"You saved us and yourself. If you hadn't talked, we could have all gotten into trouble together. So now, we're even." I said without looking at him.

"You're proud gan oh." He said. "And you don't always think sometimes too. That man actually pronounced the right word."

"I saw it in the dictionary when I got to the bus so shut up." I said and dragged Lydia by her hands. "Let's go to the hall."

"It's either you two are fighting again or both of you are at fault at something and don't want to hear each other out." Lydia said and folded her arms. She looked at me, then Demmie and back to me. "What happened when you guys went to Great Expectations?"