Chapter Twenty Six

"I don't wanna die but I don't wanna live like this.
I just wanna feel something, I just wanna feel.
Something really real,
So that I can really feel like a person again."
- Bea Miller.

___

•Demmie's POV•

"And the last word before you go for your break is. . ." Our spelling bee coach walked around, looking at us one after the other. "is. . ."

"Ah, sir we're hungry." We chorused.

"Okay okay. The word is 'Xenophobic'. I know it's a simple word but you have to be calm when you're told to spell a word or else you'll make a mistake." He said. "So? Who'll spell that for us?"

"X - e - n - o - p - h - o - b - i - c, Xenophobic!" We chorused and stood up at the same time, as if we planned it.

"You people should be back here in an hour time oh. I can't be looking for you guys all around the school. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir. Thank you, sir." We chorused as we all walked out of the class.

Today is Saturday. The first round of the spelling bee competition is next week Monday, which is in three days time. Our spelling bee coach told five of us to come to school today so he can train us for the last time before the D-day.

I checked B class to see if my guys were there but they weren't. I peeped through the window to check the field, they weren't there too. I guess they weren't around yet. I told Emmanuel, Dami and Fiyin to come to school today and they all said they would. I wonder why they weren't here yet.

I sighted Demilade, Jetemi, Lydia and Sarah from afar. They were discussing about something. Soon, Demilade excused herself and walked in the direction of the toilet, while others walked slowly towards the school gate. I jogged to meet them and told Lydia I wanted to quickly see her. She excused herself from the girls and we walked to B class together. As we entered, I closed the door.

"So, what happened?" Lydia said, staring at me.

"Uhm. . ." I stuttered, itching the back of my neck.

"Talk nah. I'm hungry and you know coach said we should be back in class in an hour time." She said.

"Okay, the thing is. . . You still like me right?"

The look she gave me showed she was shocked a bit. Then she calmed down and replied. "Yeah, why?"

"Good. I was thinking. . . If you don't mind. . . Can we give us another chance?" I muttered.

"Wait what?" She said, looking really amazed as she walked closer to me.

"We should date again?" I said.

"Oh My God! That's a very good idea!" She exclaimed. She kept smiling, making it obvious she was really happy.

"Really?"

"Of course!"

"Fine then. We're back together then, yeah?" I said.

"Yes, but before that. . ." She looked around the empty class for something I don't know. Then, she pointed to something behind me. "Please, can you pass me that?"

I looked at the back to see whatever it was. All I saw was a broom. "The broom?" I asked.

"Uhn."

I picked up the broom and passed it to her. Immediately she collected it, she adjusted it like she was about sweeping. Then, she suddenly hit the broom on my left arm and she did it continuously, making me surprised. "Guy, stop nah. Why this now?" I said, trying to block the broom from touching me. Then, she finally stopped and dropped the broom on the floor.